Couple of Questions

Mart

Reaction score
Hi everyone, how are you all?

Only having the car a couple of months now, just wanted to check a couple of things, the car doesn't seem to have heated mirrors, I've got the A/C & Climate Control, but when on or the rear window heater is on, the mirrors don't defrost, Should they??

Also when the lights are on, if you turn the engine off, take the keys out the ignitions and get out the car, there is no beeping sound to inform you the lights are on, should this actually happen also?

Finally, when driving if I put the clutch down (this doesn't happen all the time, but has occured enough times to thing something is not quite right, the car seems to stall, the only light that seems to come on is the Battery light, and I have noticed the light flicker sometimes when braking with clutch down, but not stall, only a quick flicker mind you, have to be quick to notice it! Car starts everytime fine, and appears to run smoothly! Ideas??

Thanks for your help, I expect you'll need to know the car: It's a Audi A4 Avant 1.8Turbo Sport, it's a '97 R reg.

Have been trying to get some pics up for you to see, but seems system they need to be online already to add them to a post, and don't seem to upload to the personnal gallery, is there something I should be doing to get these to upload.

Thanks for any help you can give, on any of these issues!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mine is a 2000 and the mirrors defrost without the rear demister on.

The just do it all the time i think or perhaps when its below 5*C or summat.

Maybe the 1997 ones dont have heated mirrors. Just look at the mirrors on a frosty day and see if they clear or when washing the car leave the mirror glass wet and see if it drys.

My light warnin buzzer thing works as soon as both the door is open and the key is out the ignition. And the lights are on obviously.

Perhaps a loose connection to the battery have you checked the voltage of the battery.

Cheers,
Paul.

My '99 model (pre-facelift) TDi has heated mirrors which are on whenever the ignition is on.....noticed the mirrors clearing recently without the heated rear window being on.
Could be wrong about this but doubt if the system is advanced enough to only heat the mirrors when temp is below 5 degrees; my previous Audi was a '94 80 TDi and that had mirrors which were heated all the time too.
Both mirrors had burnt out by the time the car was only 6 years old; I fitted new mirror glasses and they were both working fine still when I sold the car a few weeks ago.
I reckon that both of your mirrors have burnt out too....
The lights on warning buzzer should work with the lights on and key removed from ignition with door open.
Have no idea about the clutch or photo questions though sorry.....

. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for the responce, I haven't checked the battery. I will give that a go. Where did you get replacement heated glass from & how much??

When I bought my new mirror glasses (bear in mind this was in 2000!) the best price obtained was from VAG Parts, quite a bit cheaper than local Audi stealer, yet still genuine items.....
Replacement was easy, they just snap into the mirror housing once the 2 electrical connections are made, the only trouble was getting the old glasses out without breaking them; 1 came out without any trouble but the other cracked the minute I tried to move it......
I think the likes of German & Swedish and EuroCarParts probably do mirror glasses but not sure who makes the ones they supply.
Probably best to get the part numbers you need from a local dealer/ETKA as mirror glasses can be a bit of a minefield with all the types available eg convex/blind spot etc ; its all too easy to order the wrong item without the correct part nos for your car.
One last thing, make sure that nothing simple is at fault eg the fuse on the mirror circuit before you go buying replacements, just in case the mirrors haven't failed!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks, I'll get onto that! Anyone got any other ideas regarding the other problems?