I want your faulty electronics
New sump, pump, pick up, filter, sensor and oil.
Saturday morning I drove into the land of the welsh and on to Byzan's house to fit my new sump, pick up pipe, oil pump, oil filter, oil sensor and oil.
The point of this?
To fit a oil level sensor so I can fit facelift clocks.
I could have just gone and fitted a new sump without all the other bits but I thought I might as well do it properly. I hear about the 1.8Ts suffering from issue with their oil pick up pipes and with Audrey hitting about 160k, I thought it would be a good idea to do it, plus fitting a new sump should help solve the oil leak I got around the sump.
Plus it was time for a oil service.
Pics time cause they can describe it better than I.
First, remove the bumper and look at what we got to deal with.
Then remove some more bits, rads, front panel, engine covers and see what else is going on.
Jack the engine up and remove some more bits..............
....Till it looks like this.
Jump forward to bit when all the sump bolts are removed and its looking like this. Old sump and oil pump.
We could not see much but the bottom end looked ok. well, nothing obvious sticking out or broken.
Couple of heart stopping moment when looking at the sumps on and off the car.
The first one was noticing turn return hole on the new sump and then noticing its blocked up, so its not an issue.
The new sump is alloy, the old sump is steel. This is not an issue really but what is an issue is the fact that the steel sump is thinner around the bolt holes and the new sump is thicker. The old bolts don't stick through enough. Lucky Byzan has broken the odd 2-4 B5 1.8Ts so had a few spare sump bolts that we could use.
Next was the bell housing/sump bracket thing, I got no idea what it is called but it wrapped round the back of the old sump that covers up the bottom of the bell housing to stop crap going in. The new sump this built in, so that's not really an issue.
The drain bolts are on different sides but that's not a problem.
With the new sump having the cover built in it made refitting with pump fitted a little bit difficult, so we had to drop the front of the sub frame to give us the extra inch or so of clearance.
New pump, pick up and sump in place. Ready for sealing paste and bolt down.
All bolted up and ready for oil.
All this for this one little componente.........
..........ok its not and I got to keep reminding my self that the sensor sparked this job but the main reason was my paranoia of the oil pump failing due to the miles, pick up pipe being clogged and I got a oil leak that I've been meaning to fix for the last 2 years.
It was a long day, made even longer with a 3 hour trip to AITP after but it was worth it.
The bad news, I left my key at home that is matched to my new clocks so I was unable to fit my new clocks and test them out this weekend.
Really annoyed about that but its not the end of the world.
My task now is to get the new clocks fitted and tested by the weekend.
RNS-d A8 and A4 fitment for sale. Spare parts also available
Audrey's Build Thread
\/ She's a Diesel and this is what I'm getting!! \/