tapping noise from engine

deejames

Reaction score
Hi,

first of all apologies if i`m going over old ground but although i did find other posts i did`nt find anything specific to my engine.

When i gave a friend a jump start today i noticed a tapping noise coming from either the top or possibly front of the engine that i can only hear with the bonnet open. The car is a 1998 A4 Avant 1.8 petrol.

Sounds like tappets to me although i`m not expert! Any ideas?

I have the same tapping noise from my engine (1999 A4 1.8 tqs) a few months ago replaced the cam chain tensioner - tapping is exactly the same, so now looking at replacing oil pump in the near future, this is a major job though as I am still doing lots of research on this. Hope it cures the annoying rattle when I eventually do do it, may even do the water pump and thermostat too as people have suggested to me on here.

I have the same tapping noise from my engine (1999 A4 1.8 tqs) a few months ago replaced the cam chain tensioner - tapping is exactly the same, so now looking at replacing oil pump in the near future, this is a major job though as I am still doing lots of research on this. Hope it cures the annoying rattle when I eventually do do it, may even do the water pump and thermostat too as people have suggested to me on here.
have you not tried a flush? That fixed my tqs tapping