Reading fault codes on Audi B5 avant?

wafers

Reaction score
I've just bought myself a facelift B5 Audi A4 tdi avant. I missed my old B6 as far as practicality went, and the B5 ticks lots of boxes, as well as not having too much $$ tied up in it.
Anyway, cutting to the chase, it's a pretty good car, with the exception of the alarm! After lots of googling, it looks likely to be the tailgate latch sensor, which is apparently quite common with them.
I bought one of these for the mk2 a while back (when the mk2 Golf VR6 was mis-behaving), but didn't end up using it due to lack of obd2 port!
$T2eC16N,!)QE9s3HD)Y(BP9)RVFtn!~~60_12.JPG

U281 VW Audi Skoda Seat VAG CAN BUS Fault Code Reader Scanner diagnostic tool UK | eBay

I've plugged it into the Audi; there are 5 main menus: Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) of Engine, ABS, Airbags and Automatic Transmission. I'm assuming it won't help me whatsoever with electrics then?

Also what's the idea of Vagcom? I assume the scanner above is supposed to give fault codes, and Vagcom erases them/ gives the user options to tweak settings?

On their 'site, they list about a million choices:
7efba3ce-9ca8-467a-a95c-f4e62783aca0_zpsf4d72d9f.jpg

I'm at a loss! All I want to do is pinpoint the fault, which I'm hoping is the tailgate latch...

If you look in the vcds users section ,find someone near your location who could scan it for you . (cheaper option)
or buy a cable from Nigel (NHN) on here if you want full diagnostics. He will tell you the best option.

Riiiight, update time. I eventually got a Vagcom cable, finally got the interface connected, and now the software crashes each time I try to scan. I'm running Vista, and a quick google suggests it's not the best combination....
In the meantime, I've noticed the luggage compartment roof light doesn't work, even with new bulbs, with the switch in any position.
So, I can't run vagcom, and I'm still no closer to solving this alarm problem.
Any other suggestions? :think:

Last edited: