PAS Pumps do they fail?

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
At the moment I've got the front-end of the car striped, Just done a bunch of work including the engine & gearbox mounts, cam belt, water pump, gearbox oil, pas fluid change, viscus fan, alternator..... So my question is what are the pas pumps like on these cars when they reach 13 years & over 200K miles, are they prone to fail? I hope not to take the front-end back off the car for the next 2-3 years until the belt needs to be done again, but the car will then be 15 years old with 260K on the clock... Not sure what to do.

The car is a 2000 model 1.9TDi PD engine.

Yep, anything can fail, just wondering if it was a known failure point on older models.

Ive only ever came across 1 power steering pump that has failed.
and Ive worked on cars and in garages for over 20 years
check around it for leaks if you cant see any build the front end back up and don't worry about it.

Pumps normally fail due to internal wear of the rack and swarf circling back to the pump then it buggers the pump, for piece of mind replace it because now you've mentioned it sods law will only be around the corner !!

I'm changing the PAS fluid and will give it a flush as the stuff that dropped out was just about black!