A4 TDI 2000

B

bainsyboy

A4 TDI 2000

A friend has the chance to buy this car but its very smoky, dealer says its just had a new turbo fitted, and oil is going thru turbo.

The car is approx £3.8k, so it seems cheap,but his worried it may cost £2k on repairs.

Ideas anyone on possible faults/costs involved ?.
Cheers

Read my post in the diesel forum: my car's the same year, has the same problem.

The valve stem oil seals were just replaced on mine but the smoke is just as bad. I reckon it's a turbo problem on mine too so could be big bucks - just before Christmas too...... great!

Suggest your friend asks the dealer to get the problem fixed and then buys the car if it's still within his budget.

what miles ? Any fault codes ? when does it smoke ?

Mine - 77,000. Can't say about fault codes but can find out.
Head gasket was replaced a few weeks ago and it's smoked ever since. Valve stem oil seals were replaced at the time and were replaced again last week.
It still smokes. It's particularly noticeable when stationary e.g. in a traffic queue when it gets so bad I have to switch the engine off

hi thanks for replies, we are persuading him not to buy it at the moment

does it have warrenty? if so then if it is a problem they should fix it.

The replacement valve stem oil seals were done under warranty from the head gasket replacement - but that didn't cure the smoke.

Next favourite is the turbo but that's unlikely to be under warranty - we shall see.

Problem is, if it isn't the turbo, what next? Rings...? I'm baffled. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif