Fuel pressure regulator " rattle"?

Topplumb1

Reaction score
Car : A4 B5 1.8T Quattro Sport Dec 1999..........
For a while now my car has an annoying engine rattle - like a bag of nails ! Originally thought it was perhaps the cam chain tensioner, but I changed this a few months ago, same rattle exists, gave the engine a flush with wynns engine oil flush twice, replaced the oil filter with the bigger transporter type oil filter and 5w/40 oil, oil temp much better and engine runs smoother, still have the annoying rattle though (disappears at 2000 rpm - comes back at idle) the main area that the rattle comes from is directly on top of the fuel pressure regulator when a screwdriver placed ontop then stick your ear to it - had the top off it but looks ok, the small 3.2mm tube that runs from the inlet manifold to the fuel pressure regulator is showing signs of the braiding being damaged, maybe a vac leak? so obtained a new fuel pressure regulator from GSF and tube, which I am going to fit tomorrow, hopefully this will stop the rattle - the last resort is the sump off and new oil pump and pickup, or could it be the hydraulic lifters worn on the actual cams?
Any advice anyone ? Anyone else had this problem? I will post the outcome of the situation after the fuel pressure regulator change to see if it makes any difference.

Rattle at idle and then disappears is a worn oil pump !!

see how you get on with replacing the FPR no doubt it will still be there so sump off job !!

i have a rattle only in first. sounds like its right inside the dash, but i do have a noisy thrust bearing, so wondered if the trust bearing would make this noise, or if the oil pump is also the case here.

it disnt make any rattle noises any other time but acceleration hard in 1st.

So - a quick update on the fuel pressure regulator, all went well, new one on and tube replaced, old one had a damaged o ring when I took it out, rattle still exist the same, so looks like at some point the sump has got to come off to replace the oil pump. Not looking forward to this as it looks major according to elsawin guides, unless anyone can give me a link that gives step by step guides that makes things easier, the less I have to dismantle the better. I have just adapted my back garden and fence to enable the car to come in so I can work on it comfortably. All advice now welcome - especially from anyone who has already done this.

Search for "oil sludge problems" by byzan, he made a thread a while back about doing it with the engine in place.

Sump off job, had same problem with my 1.8 non turbo rattled from the top. Changed cam shaft tens did oil flush and no joy till got new oil pump but i learned that when changing camshaft tens the new chain should be installed cause i still have a small rattle at the tensioner from the chain.

OK thanks folks, when I decide to take the sump off , will I need to disturb the cam belts or timing in anyway ?

No you wont have to touch the timing, but a little pointer there are two bolts hiding in the bell housing which sit behind the flywheel !!

Also have enough containers for your fluids and plenty of clean rags.
Depending on if its been done or not, and your budget, it may be worth doing water pump and stat, and possibly oil cooler whilst your at it.
I did the oil cooler on mine and a couple of weeks later the stat went, then about a month after the water pump, got good at draining and bleeding the coolant!

Ok thanks sulli for the advice, are the bolts that hide in the back of the bell housing hex or spline bolts can you remember - extension bar job I would imagine ?

There 5 or 6 mm hex iirc, and yes there an extension job i used a 1/4 drive ratchet extension and socket iirc as the acces holes arent that great and you will need to turn the engine over as there are slots on back of the flywheel so you can get to them without rounding them !!

Thanks bradderz - I am trying to gather as much info as I can on this, I think the part no. is 058 115 105c : Audi A4 1.8 engine oil pump ? Probably go for one from GSF £105, as they are so expensive from audi ! Also a sump gasket.

Fantastic - thanks for the info bradderz, now I will start to gather the bits together:beerchug: