S4 Clunking.....

nemo2182

Reaction score
Hello,
I seemed to have developed a loud cluncking noise on the 'drive' of my S4.

Now when I say drive, I think it may b prop\diff\gearbox or driveshaft related....

It seems to happen at low speed when I come off the gas or put gas on....which is why i think its a joint thats worn. I also notice it over speed bumps....Now I dont think its CV, no cornering noise, rumbles or anything. there is no lack of performance or weird pulling off in diffrent directions. And it passed MOT couple of months back with no mention of a problem.

Now I was thinking of getting under and just greasing any 'naked' joints I could see, but is that a good idea with all the road muck that will find its way on the grease??? Any one else had this issue? I wana sell her (**TEAR IN EYE, SNIFF SNIFF**)
, so want her to be tip top before she goes....

Cheers

Nathan

I had similar issues were the rear diff hanger to diff bolts came loose also check diff mounts etc for a quick cheap fix tiger seal the voids in the bushes.

I expect 13 yrs of torque has to take its toll somewhere!!! haha

Cheers Bud

No joy with the diff mounts, it def seems to be play in the joint between the diff and prop and also fron the joints on the driveshaft before they go into gearbox....Any ideas anyone?

The driveshafts on mine have play on the inners at the rear the play seems to be in the forward driving direction, i was thinking of maybe swapping them left to right so theres no movement on take up well thats if there not sided !!

engine box and rear diff bushes!
they will all be fritzed

get jiggy with the tigerseal or replace

My tqs engine nearly jumped out of the bay on a dyno! sorted with new snub and engine mounts

the rear diff twists and slaps back and forth of pick and clutch dip
sorted with apikol front diff hanger and tiger sealed rear frame (and solid subframe bushes!)

my new S4 has a slap, am sure it is rearward but the engine has more movement than I like also. to be done

Right, I been back under car and there is def noise coming from both the prop to diff coupling and the front driveshaft couplings. It almost like when I twist the prop in my hand there is play (i.e. doesnt immediately take up the slack) its ****** annoying. If i drive its when im on\off the throttle at low speeds or I dip the clutch......

My prop has free play which feels as though its in the rear diff input shaft, id personally get all the mounts engine, gearbox diff & prop hanger changed then go from there !!