Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

S4 Engine Removal

So i have some new Turbo's to put on, and i know the engine has to come out, so i have already started and nearly at the point of removal.

What i need is somebody who has done this before to tell me best way to take it out, my scenario is i am at home in my garage, i have a Engine Lift.

So what my best option, seperate from bell housing and do it that way, or remove shafts and take out whole thing inc gearbox?

thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    I've taken mine out twice now. Remove driveshafts, undo gear linkages and pull whole engine and gearbox. Only pull it out a few inches first, then you can disconnect the clutch slave cylinder from the gearbox.

I did a detailed write-up on SRS - AudiSRS.com :: ScottR's B5 S4 DIY Engine Pull - Project Thunder

I was a complete novice, so i've pointed out a number of the issues that I faced and how I got around them.
    Mo power, mo problems

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Thunder View Post
    I've taken mine out twice now. Remove driveshafts, undo gear linkages and pull whole engine and gearbox. Only pull it out a few inches first, then you can disconnect the clutch slave cylinder from the gearbox.

I did a detailed write-up on SRS - AudiSRS.com :: ScottR's B5 S4 DIY Engine Pull - Project Thunder

I was a complete novice, so i've pointed out a number of the issues that I faced and how I got around them.
    this is great stuff, many thanks mate

6th Gear

Status
    And be careful when reinstalling the engine...

Oops!
    Mo power, mo problems

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Thunder View Post
    And be careful when reinstalling the engine...

Oops!
    Oh Crap, will do

6th Gear

Status
    I had to LOL!

My neighbour and I virtually knocked the car off 4 axle stands when we were trying to ram the engine back in place!

Other daft things to watch out for that either did or could have caught me out:
    1) Don't forget to undo the earth strap under the driver's side chassis leg
    2) Don't forget to undo the shifter linkages (I ended up having to hunt around for the circlip which went pinging out when I tried to pull the whole shifter assembly out through the front of the car!)
    3) Use threadlock on your driveshaft and propshaft bolts upon reassembly (I had a little 'surprise' when I didn't do mine!!!)
    4) Prime your new turbos and the oil feed lines with oil - I used a syringe for this
    5) For the love of all things holy, make sure you check, double check and triple check the tightness of all the turbo banjos. I ended up loosening the drivers side oil feed by tightening one of the bolts out of sequence (you'll see what I mean) - resulted in hours of swearing, bleeding and tool fabrication to tighten it up in situ.
    6) When firing up for the first time, pull the fuel pump fuse and unplug ignition amps to allow the oil pump to do it's thing before firing it up.

Good luck. It's tough work, but very rewarding when you stick it all back together and fire it up.
    Mo power, mo problems

Neutral

Status
    I'm going to be breaking an S4 over the summer, so this will be really useful for me.