CV boot quality question

gedi

Reaction score
I discovered that my driver side cv boot is ripped and cv joint is exposed (2WD). I was wondering is there particular name of cv boot maker i should go for cause friend of mine got 2 new cv joints and boots fitted about 3 months ago and cv boot is ripped in half on both sides. I dont whant to have same problem.Should i buy it from Audi dealers cause i had bad experience with parts from local motor factors. Thanks.

Febi bilstien from ebay seller stephenj65 iirc get the oem part number and message him if he doesnt have the ones you want listed and he will get them and there next day delivery when they arrive with him !!

ill have a look see if theres one for yours !!

Just bought genuine audi today, over twice the price of the factors boot but they could not get one in until Tuesday. Factors boot comes with a bolt, Audis does not and its £12 extra making an Audi boot 3 times the cost, will it last 3 times loger?

no it won't!!

I got decent rubber factor ones
learnt my lesson getting EuroCarParts ones that felt like washing up tubs!.
didnt split but so fecking hard they pop off every time!

Euros sell a few different ones, I got a lucas one from them recently but had an audi strap fitted, the audi boot was almost 3x the price.
The other side had full cv joint and boot replaced before, that was a q drive brand fitted a while ago the tech inspected the boot was happy just binned the strap still going strong.
Some parts worth spending a few quid more on (lemforder) but some smaller stuff worth a gamble.
How many of us use bkr6ek plugs £8 instead of audi platinum ££££.

I use bkr6ek iirc

Does any one no if you can use bkr6eke with two prongs instead of one ?? Just have a set of them so may use them when ready for replacing my old ones.

also i bought 2x front cv boots from the seller above for £36 delivered and are the hard plastic type with the correct heavy duty clips a **** to fit but are not budging :) !!

Just ordered febi on ebay so I will see the quality when its fitted. On passenger side i fitted unknown maker cv boot and rubber is quite hard and it was really hard to fit it but as long as it last i dont mind.

I've recently fitted a new GKN driveshaft joint to my car and the boot was of the soft-rubber type that was fitted fairly easily; its a simple job to crimp up the metal clips to secure the boot in place....
I've also got a spare Genuine boot kit here that is of the much harder plastic variety, fearful of not being able to get the metal securing clip up tight enough I chose not to use it but use the GKN boot instead...
Time will tell if I've made the right choice but I have found that the harder plastic Genuine boots do appear to last longer, they are just a pain to fit as they want to pop off the joint unless you get the clips really tight.....

I've recently fitted a new GKN driveshaft joint to my car and the boot was of the soft-rubber type that was fitted fairly easily; its a simple job to crimp up the metal clips to secure the boot in place....
I've also got a spare Genuine boot kit here that is of the much harder plastic variety, fearful of not being able to get the metal securing clip up tight enough I chose not to use it but use the GKN boot instead...
Time will tell if I've made the right choice but I have found that the harder plastic Genuine boots do appear to last longer, they are just a pain to fit as they want to pop off the joint unless you get the clips really tight.....

I used to buy GKN driveline boots, and rate the kits, including decent metal clips. However I noticed the boots develop cracks after a couple of years. Check periodically and avoid hard lock steering where possible.

just got it fitted today and pretty happy with the boot it was quite hard to get it on the cv joint. rubber is quite hard so it should last longer.

Yeah there a bit off a pain to get the boot on the joint with the clip inplace but once there tight they should be good for a couple of years at least !!

you used the correct tool to tighten them i presume as they would of popped off by now lol