dodgy handling 1999 a4 fwd

jas828

Reaction score
my1999 a4 b5 tdi saloon feel like it steering from back end when you take long sweeping bends ? have noticed one rear shock leaking and a slight rattle aswell does it sound like rear shock and top mounts need changing ?

thats what im thinking i found a pair of meyle shocks online for £60 delivered same place i bought a bottom control arm meyle hd with 4 year warranty for £42

The main bushes on the beam axle are a common failure on the FWD cars. Makes the rear end feel rather disconnected.

I'd change the rear shocks first tbh....
I did rear axle bushes and shocks last summer and found that despite having well over 200k under its belt my car had virtually unworn rear bushes.
Expecting them to be falling apart I was most surprised to find that they took a lot of effort to remove and it didn't make any real difference after replacing them!
Replacing all 4 shocks did however transform the car....

gonna change shock and top mounts first as theres a rattling from top mount area in boot and drivers shock is wet

One of my rear shocks was wet, it's that which spurred me on to replace all 4.
My car would lurch sideways whenever I hit a pothole and I was convinced I had multiple issues....
On taking the suspension apart it was apparent that despite the shocks passing the bounce test to MOT standards they were all absolutely knackered.
4 OEM-standard Bilsteins and the car behaved like it should, wish I'd done it ages before tbh.

ok, was just saying the stepping out is synonamous with the bishes due to load transfer. I have seen at least 4 like it now and the owners had done shock,mounts etc first and bushes last after not finding the fault.

You do need to sort your rattle out, so fingers crossed you strike lucky