Should my S4 have vented rear discs?

S4Steve

Reaction score
Today i've been to have a pair of rear tyres put on the S4 and whilst there i took the chance to have a poke around in the backwheel arches, i noticed that the n/s rear brake shield appears to be fitted back to front which is slightly worrying but mainly that the car is on solid discs,surely that can't be right on an S4?

I took some pictures of what is on the car,can anyone shed some light on what should be on there.

Thanks,
Steve

Prefacelift upto '99 got solid discs, facelifts 99-01 got vented iirc so yours is a PFL i take it ??

Yes it's a '99 but one of the last pre facelift i think, thanks for the quick response,i thought somebody had been bodging before i bought the car.

That dust shield does look abnormal and you cant put them on backwards i dont think, as i tried to bolt one on and realised it was the wrong way :banghead:

don't no if there different on the S4 to the TQS so might well be on backwards !!

Will take a look at some point this week , just so i know, which is the correct way? the shield sloping away from the top of the disc or the shield coming over the disc ?

The correct way is the way the dust shield is in your 2nd pic in your 1st post !! :)

Just out of interest do you have to run spacers with the B6 S4 alloys to clear the brakes or are they just for stance/looks ??

On the back they fit fine without spacers and the front too with stock s4 calipers,but when i put the porsche calipers on i needed a 10mm spacer for clearance, making the setup et35, i added the spacers on the rear just so the track would be increased the same as the front.

Ahh ok just curious as im going bigger brakes all round, how much clearance on the rears without spacers as ill be doing the 300mm S4 facelift upgrade ??

On the rear there was loads of space, would have thought a 300mm disc will fit fine, the fronts did with the stock s4 calipers and discs which are huge.

Yeah stock s4 are 321mm iirc mine will be 345mm/300mm, reason for asking is because the facelift rear calipers are bulky as hell so poke out towards the 'spokes' a hell of alot more than solid S4 brakes !!

Ah i see, well i only have the little solid brakes on the back so can't be much help i'm afraid.