throttle body clean

Mustafa4hmed

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this subject up again but i think my throttle body is dirty again. I cleaned it last year and the bouncy idle was cured but now its back. Last time the garage cleaned it for me and i want to try for myself this time.

Im not a car expert, in fact the only hands on i've had is replacing the pollen filter.
In the audi tech bulletin it instructs to remove the intake boot from throttle valve and clean the interior surface of throttle valve with a soft clean cloth and combustion chamber cleaner. Now, is this the big hose that runs straight into the throttle body? I think there should be a jubilee clip holding it in position (but is missing). If i remove the hose will it go bback in easily? and what size jubilee clip shall i buy to hold it back?

Please any advice will be much appreciated. Ive read the past posts and I really cannot remove the throttle body and do a proper clean - dont wanna mess things up.

Thnks

Muzz

if its anything like a ford then the lumpy idle is either down to the MAF (mass air flow sensor, located on the air induction pipe normally) or the ICV (idle control valve, located on the side of the throttle body normally). i'd clean/replace the icv to be honest

I had this problem for a few mths but thank god its fixed, it was SO annoying. I think mine was due to the battery being disconnected, it reset a few things

You could try disconnecting the battery and leaving it for say 30 mins then connecting it again

If I get chance I`ll ask one of the technicians at work for their advice, I work at an Audi main dealer

all sorted, well for now anyways.

The battery was changed recently and this did make it worse, but didnt want to do throttle adaptation until i cleaned it.

So here is what I did:
1. removed the clip holding the air intake hose onto the throttle body

2. Removed a bolt holding the first section of the hose (i found this had 2 small hoses underneath connected)

3. Removed the clip on the other side of the first section of the hose and this helped release it from the throttle body.

4. Got a clean soft cloth and a carb cleaner. Sprayed the carb cleaner onto the cloth and gave the throttle plate and the inside a good cleaning. LOTS OF BLACK CARBON/OIL DEPOSITS CAME OFF!!! they kept comming off until half an hour had passed.

5. then decided to hook everything up again and did a throttle body adaptation. Believe me this all did the trick and car is now smoother, doesnt stall and is more responsive.

I also changed the pollen filter and cleared some gunk that was stuck to the side of it - blocking water drainage and causing leaks into the footwell - this stuff was proper thick MUD!!!

Hope that shows how easy it is to clean the throttle body, since im a complete novice and am more into medicine than motors.

Muzz

by the way, got my mate to hold down the accelerator to allow me to clean. Its a good idea to wrap the cloth around a flexible tooth brush