subframe swap

jbh

TDi lover
Reaction score
Website
www.retrobmw.co.uk
My car failed its MOT on the front subframe having a rusty hole so this weekends job is to replace the subframe
Ive got a replacement from a passat I scrapped ive cleaned it up and painted it so its ready to go.

any one ever changed one? any tips?
Ive got an engine lift for holding the engine up while im doing it but just wondering if there was anyone that's already done this.

James

I've not done this yet, but am going to as I'm going to be putting in RS4 subframe bushes. Anyway, it looks pretty straight forward to me, just support the engine/gearbox as you said. The only thing I found out is that there are a couple of holes at the front at the ARB mounts that you put locating pegs into when you put the subframe back on so it all lines up again. That make sense?

The only thing I found out is that there are a couple of holes at the front at the ARB mounts that you put locating pegs into when you put the subframe back on so it all lines up again. That make sense?

yea I have seen these and have raided my dads van and found 2 bolts that fit in the holes perfect. there a tight fit but slide in and out

thats it then, you're good to go. I can't think, or see anything else that would be a problem, apart from the obvious : seized bolts.

well my weekend was taken up with the front suspension on the wife's bus so the boy at the garage gave the subframe a weld to get it through its test but I still plan on changing it

so this year..
front flexi perished ( replaced both )
rear metal pipe chafed
bottom rear arm passengers side
steering rack
and the bit on the subframe which isint that bad ive seen worse.

why worry, its a car, its designed to fall to bits!