Is it worth it?

gedi

Reaction score
I was thinking for a while now to attend some track day events. I have 98 1.8 N/A 2wd B5. Is it worth it to do some small suspension upgrades and try to participate in such event or not. Car is in daily use but im just after a bit of fun and improve my driving skills. Cheers.

I took my car (2002 S3) on a trackday with just uprated Arb's but it was a newer car,I found my brakes faded very fast so I'd look at brake discs and pads as well,these days are adrenaline filled depends how well its organised and managed.

I doubt a 1.8 NA will be troubling the brakes too much!

You dont have to do anything to the car to have a blast on a trackday, just take it easy and get a feel for it. If you like it, you can narrow down which parts of your car need improvement and work on those for the next time.

I would try to avoid a "public" day if you can, try and find days organised by clubs or similar, as the folk tend to be a bit more sensible.

Reactions: Arrkon
i dont think i have much problems with brakes cause its not that much of power. the only issue would be handling id say a bit of powerflex bushes and good set of tyres and them im ready :racer:

You will be braking a lot but hey you may be okay,good luck

I've been on track with my car with its 13 year old knackered bushes and it was fine. A bit snappy near the limit perhaps.

My cars also got standard brakes and standard 1.8T engine, and i could do 5 or 6 hard laps before the brakes began to fade. You've got less power and less weight than me because its a FWD non-turbo, so i suspect so long as you've got the later spec vented front disks, you wont have too much trouble with the brakes.

As i say, plenty fun can be had with your car as it is without spending loads.

Obviously not driving it hard enough then :whistle2:

Yeah my brakes discs are vented. Is greenstuff brake pads any good with standard brake disc cause i was doing a bit of maintenance work on my car just spotted that they nearly gone so was thinking to upgrade the pads.

Forget greenstuff.

Ferodo Premiers are a decent option for a road pad. For light track use, perhaps look at something like Mintex 1144, or Ferodo DS Performance.