Help.....Lost Power / Firing on 3 cylinders........ ?

hop2407

Reaction score
Guys

On Saturday afternoon, I came to the end of a bypass to a roundabout and was going fast enough for a rolling acceleration in 2nd gear on to the roundabout, when it happened......

I put my foot down to accelerate and there was nothing there, no real power just a grumble as though I was only firing on 3 cylinders..... It sounds like a scooby with them flash exhausts (the burble) .......

So I have a problem.... every gear, there is nothing when I accelerate, seems like a misfire, it judders when going steady, and lumpy on tickover / revving when in neutral..... When I drive, I hear the turbo spool up / whistle, but no real boost....

Dont think it's a turbo issue at all as it occurs from very low revs.....

Lastly, If the car is left overnight or for a few hours it's fine for the first 500 yards or so, then it starts - I guess this is when the EMS has analysed fuel / air ratio etc... then makes adjustments (Badly)

What have I done - nowt.... other than fill up with opti on Friday - done about 30 miles after fill up before this started...

It is in the local garage (not dealer) this morning and he will hook up to the computer to see for error codes, but just wondered if you have any thoughts (MAF etc.).

I have not disconnected Battery yet (reset MAF / ECU etc.) because of my previous experience which I am sure you can remember (blown ECU) - however that time was just unlucky i guess.....

Thanks in advance chaps.....

[ QUOTE ]
coilpack?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow - Quick Diagnosis - I'm impressed..... So not being mechanically minded, what's a coilpack and whats it do?

And I like the "Not too expensive" comment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif Let's hope so....

If it's a colipack issue - will this show as an error on the computer when it's plugged in..... cos I will pass this info on to the mekanic......

Could be coil pack, leads, or spark plug at this stage.

See if you can swap the leads around to determine if its one of the leads and pop the spark plug out to see if it breaking down.

It could even be one of the leads is not on properly or spark plug not set or screwed in tight enough.

Colipack almost definately.
The coilpack sits between the ignition lead and the spark plug. It replaces the old ignition coil found on older cars, so you don't have HT leads anymore as the spark is produced by each individual coil pack located practically on top of the spark plug.
Depending on the revision of the copilpack I seem to remember Audi replacing these FOC as there was a recall on them at one point. But if this is not the case then they're only about £40 or so.

Thanks very much....... And waddya know - it was a coilpack issue..... you guys are tops.....well done - appreciated

Mekanic quoted £32 +VAT for a coilpack however new plugs as well, cos when he tested, he noticed the plugs were corroding, so I've had new - why not......

Just going to ring Dealer and check on Andys comment re. FOC - I'm not holding my breath

Thanks again Lads - Appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

One last thing....... Unfortuately I've had to drive the car whilst this problem occured - covered approximately 40 miles..... Will I have done any damage to anything else..... I have avoided really nailing it.... just nipping around locally and a steady 80 on the bypass........

The only part that would have been susceptible to unburnt fuel would have been the Catalytic convertor(s).

Probably just reduced its life by a bit, nothing major.

[ QUOTE ]
The only part that would have been susceptible to unburnt fuel would have been the Catalytic convertor(s).

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Man,..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, second that. When the coils went on my S3, I had to drive a bit too (only about 10 miles though). The Audi mobile mechanic said the same thing about the cat......... there shouldn't be any problems.

Thanks lads - All advice appreciated..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

mine has just suffered this problem so i took it to an independant. he told me it was the ignition amplifier?? £190 quid later!!! can anyone tell me if this sound's right or even where about's this thing is so i can check it has been replaced?

thank's
al

Mmmmm - If it is the same as mine, then I am guessing they have over-charged you .....As for I"ignition Amplifier" - that might be a posh name for the colipack (SoUnds more expensive).....

4 seperate ones on the B5 A4, attached to the top of the spark plugs.... This previous thread may help and it may depend on the model you have

http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/sho...;o=&fpart=1

D'oh.... another one went last night... Well I think it's one - it may be two.

The tickover is lumpy this time and it wasn't last time. Garage has ordered 3, to be safe..... I'm considering telling him to change all the remaining 3 as they're not a bad price and sods law say another one will go at the most inconvenient time...... Thoughts ?

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah i would just change them all or buy the new ones and keep them so you can change them yourself as and when they go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Paul..... The garage looks after me anyway, so he'll not sting me for labour and excessive costs.... Although I like to have a bash at stuff myself and I'm sure these are easy to change, I have been known to start one easy job and ending up causing myself 4 more jobs - I'm just unlucky like that !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

For info in case anyone searches on this in future.... The problem turned out to be a mixture of the Pencil Coilpack going and unfortuntely, sending a dodgy signal back to ignition module and burning it out (well the printed circuit board)...

So New coilpack (£32 +vat) and ignition module (Bosch one without the VW / Audi stamp - £79 + vat.... From the dealer it was (£179 + vat)

Have decide to have the other 2 coilpacks replaced as well, as if another coilpack goes, I dont want to fork out for another ignition module.....