Locking wheel nut removal

Chriscooke

Clueless!
Reaction score
Website
www.sxoc.com
I've somehow managed to misplace the locking wheelnut key for what looks like my original Audi lock nuts. I've tried a mates key from his b6 but it's a slightly different diameter.

Is it worth a visit to my local Audi dealer and try my luck with a new key?

Looked at the halfords tool but fear it won't work with the Audi lockers.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. Hope they can help me out else I'm stuck with two rear tyres that need replacing ASAP one of which has a puncture :(

Hammer and cold chisel or punches, or a snap on kit for removal at your freindly tyre fitting place.
If you find a kit in halfords that does not work simply return it for a refund!

I worked for audi for around 7 years and when customers came in with the same problem we had a master kit full of all the locking keys for the customers to use.

Im sure the new locking sets were around £25.

I've heard this may be the case so fingers crossed its still the same :) one of the other wheels has a random locker on as well which is less than helpful although that one looks easier to remove.

Audi will have a master set but you won't be able to buy a new one as they no longer supply this type. You'll have to buy a new set once you have the old ones out.

Well to say I'm disappointed with Audi at the moment is an understatement.

Went in to the dealer today to ask if they could help. They confirmed that they have the key for the job and that it's a simple fix. Great I thought, said I'd happily pay for the 15 mins of labour and replacement bolts and all would be fine.

This is where a simple task of removing four bolts turns sour. He told me that it would cost me a total of £70 plus parts!!!! That's £70 to undo four wheel studs with equipment you have on the premises!! Unreal. Totally disappointed and disgusted in Audi now and their horrid customer service.

The reason why they wanted to charge so much is because apparently my car needed a full health check carried out so they could undo the bolts. Rediculous!!

Rant over!

Looks like I'll be getting a local tyre place to graunch them off for £40 instead out of principle.

I would have been cheeky and asked someone in a car park with a B5 or other audi of that generation if i could borrow theirs.

£70 is insane!

I stormed off in a strop tbh :eek:

Alls well that ends well though as remembered I've got a mate who works in a garage that removed all four withing 5mins and for nothing :) I slipped him a cheeky fiver so all and all it's a good result.

Reactions: ScottD3
That's taking the ****.

I thought health checks was free?

They may be but if they are that makes the price even more extortionate tbh. Genuinely disappointed in the service, can't help but think that if my car was newer they would of fallen over themselves to help.

On another note if someone has some spare studs going cheap let me know as I need five :D

the health check should be free at any reputable main dealer (i no ive worked for citroen and peugeot) and the idea of the health check is to get upsell and try to get you to have work done, £70 to remove them is a joke id be putting a formal complaint in to there dealer principal stating that if they have the key its litarally a 5 min job to remove and replace 4 locking nuts with a master key. Just shows that even audi a dealer that should thrive of customer service can charge someone a fortune for what is a simple job !!!

Apparently Audi UK reads ASN, I wonder if they reads this posts and bother to investigate it or do anything else about it?

I'd like to think they do and would do something about it but I don't think they do or would do anything.
How much business does a 14 year old car really generate for them?
Their care about our experience in dealers is equal to the amount of money they think we generate for them.

I used a socket made by laser in the screwfix car park to remove them from my old merc. Then took them back for a refund. Worked a treat.

I bought the sockets made by lazer also. Sure they would of worked a treat if they fitted in the recess of the wheels.

The branch I had an issue with was the Taunton branch and I am considering writing a letter of complaint as tbh what they wanted to charge was daylight robbery. Can't think of many jobs that warrant £70 for 5-10 mins work!!

Scott I hope they do see this but as you say I highly doubt they will be overly bothered even though clubs like this are part of their core audience.

Same happened to me - there is a firm that will sell you a new key for about 15 quid. I'll have a look and find the link. The sent the new one out the same day I ordered it.

Cheers for the offer. I no longer have the wheel bolts in question. It turns out they aren't very secure and extremely easy to remove.