Serious lack of power (1.9 TDI 1Z engine) '96 175k miles

J

jonnycraig

Hi guys,

Not been on here in a while :)

My car over the past week is struggling on the hills on motorways, there doesnt seems to be much go in it anymore, put my foor down and nothing, I can get it up to 70/80 and cruise on the flat/slight hills. There is a serious rattle from the exhaust near the engine but pipes are solid (possible dead/shattered cat'vertor?? and blocking exhaust) really out of my depth.

Having scoured round the forum Ive found the following....

Dead Cat'vertor
Leaking intercooler/pipes

Any suggestions would be awesome

Jonny

Id be giving it a whirl with vagcom see what codes are stored or see what sensors are doing what.

Cheers, heres what VAGCOM brought up.

5 Faults Found:
00575 - Intake Manifold Pressure - If the Cat was broken up would this do it?
17-10 - Control Difference - Intermittent

00741 - Brake Pedal Monitoring -This one was existing from the last time I scanned, need to replace brake switch
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error
00-00 - -

17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer -Immob light was flashing during tests, key out and in sorts this most times.
P1570 - 35-00 - -

00553 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70) - I did this, unplugging / reseating the MAF
31-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent

On recommendation Ive cleared the codes down and only the Brake switch error reappeared, Ive noticed that all my boost is being vented through the EGR valve, the vacuum line keeps it open under load therefore no boost. Gonna try and get the CC removed, bash out the innards and see how it goes, dont fancy drilling holes in it just to release the pressure.

Any hints of getting it out as the bolts are rusty and dont fancy snapping one specially the Turbo side.

Cheers

Id try blanking off the egr valve with some blanks cut from a coke can or similar see how that goes if no joy id do the mr muscle clean to the turbo !