track car

blue boy

Reaction score
have a 2.6 v6 for a track car .Need some advice on what i can lose inside the car to lose some weight ??? i need it road worthy to get there and back . All carpets out of boot and lost back seats door trims . need to trim down as much as poss really ???? like can i get rid of the center consel ? ? all help welcome

I've removed:

Front and rear electric window motors, and all internal door wiring (bar drivers door as i wanted to be able to open the window in case of toll booths or similar...)
Central locking pump, wiring and pipework
head lining, A, B and C pillar trim covers
rear seats, belts and retaining brackets
rear boot carpet, side trims, lid trim, and plastics
main carpet
all aircon gubbins
stereo and associated wiring and speakers
rear section of centre console can go, front bit i'll probably leave as it houses the heater controls and suchlike and thus is handy...

Probably more stuff i've forgotten about too.

You need to keep the door cards, as the door seals act on the cards not the door frame itself, but you can gut as much weight out of them as possible and refit the bare carcase

I've left the dashboard itself fitted, as it just looks really **** without it, i've not decided if i'll refit the glovebox or the drivers knee bolster yet.

sounds good . did you get rid of the ac pump on the engine ? ? was looking at all the ac bits was was in to minds about the ac pump on engine take off for a smaller belt or leave it on . never thought about head lining thats a good idea

yeh i removed the AC pump, pipe work, condensor, wiring etc.

The engine is a 1.8T though and on those the AC runs off a seperate belt so no need to change the main belt.

Headlining doesnt weigh much, but every little helps.

yes will have to get smaller belt for mine when it comes to it . with the v6 engine i need as much as poss to lose .

Not sure on the v6 but on the 1.8t there is a charcoal filter in the drivers wing for the breather system, do a catch can and ditch all that, must free up a couple of Kg

Not sure on the v6 but on the 1.8t there is a charcoal filter in the drivers wing for the breather system, do a catch can and ditch all that, must free up a couple of Kg

can you ditch the canister behind the wing ive just ditch the pipes after the solenoid and left the solenoid open

no idea but ill get out there over the weekend and have a look . got a shredded locking wheel nut to have a go at first

yeh i removed that, and just left the roll over valve and left the vent pipe venting into the wheel arch.

I'd leave the carbon can fitted for a road car though, as it helps absorb the fuel vapors and stop the car stinking of petrol.

Last edited:
strip out the EVAP and SAC system replace with catch can and engine block plug
get busy with the heat gun and scraper and remove all the sticky sound deadening from the roof and floor
carpets and foam, cover void with ali chequer sheet
standard seats! all of them! close to 100kg in all the seats and associated parts

anything in your boot

no nothing in the boot or the back of car seats out plus door trims . just working on the front . was thing about putting the battery in the boot get some weight of the front ?? worth it or lot of work for nothing ??? also is it worth taking most of the glass out for plastic ?? or again another job for not much ???

As i said earlier, you will find the car VERY noisey without the door cards. You can more or less stick your hand down between the door and the outside the gap is that large, the cards are fibreboard and weigh very little, your ears will thank you for leaving them fitted!!

Gut the doors out, remove the motors, wiring etc etc then refit the bare doorcard with all the plastic trims etc removed.

Swapping the glass for plastic is a lot of work for little gain I recon.

Fitting a small battery will save you some weight, moving it is good for weight distribution, but you'll have to add some heavy cable which will offset some off the gain. If you move it, put it in a proper sealed box, behind the passenger seat. Keeping the mass low and between the wheels is what you want, so sticking it in the boot isnt that much better than where it is as standard.