Windscreen washer pump.

norad97

Reaction score
Hi,
The windscreen washers have stopped working, jets are not blocked and i blew down the tube from the bonnet and the
the bottle bubbled.
There is no sound from the motor, I looked at the fuse layout and it seems its the same fuse as the wipes and delay,
so I guess it cannot be that.
What about relays? is it the same relay for the wipers, just want to check before I take things apart,
dont want to remove the wheel arch lining for nothing and find out its electrical.
The bottle is not easy to get at from inside the engine bay, I think I can take the pump of the bottle but not sure
how much wire is on the plug so I can dissconect it and test for Volts.

Well, they are not cheap, My car has LCD display in the dash that show when water in bottle is low, these pumps are not £20.

I took out the bottle today, removed pump and tested wiring for volts, found volts O.k., so off to GSF for the new pump, but when they

showed me it' it was wrong and only 2 pins, I had my old pump with me and they could not mach it,the pump they sell it for standard car
with no display info in dash. called TPS no stock, called the Stealers, no stock but £73.00 +vat !!!!!! so I took my pump apart a
and found the motor seased up.
sprayed with WD40 and bit started spinning freely, cleaned it up, put back in car and it works, water at last!!
I realise this is only a temporary fix, need find a replacement soon.

Yeh i just fitted a non-sensor one to my old car when that happened, lost the low level warning but at least it worked!

Newer models have a seperate sensor and pump.

Could the bottle be upgraded to take the new sensor on its own version?

They changed over in ~1998, same time as they changed the clocks as depicted here:

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9001/allclustersrev.jpg

The earlier cars had a different washer and coolant sensor, which opened the circuit when everything was good, and closed it when washer fluid/coolant was low.

I guess they changed it because "full" and "unplugged/broken" would then give the same "OK" signal.

On the newer cars, the circuit is open when its empty, and closed when its full, which means they're not compatible, and also means "unplugged" flags an error, which is obviously useful.

Thich is the issue I got at the moment with my coolant bottle.
I can't plug my coolant level sensor in cause it beeps.

I assume I can use it when I fit my new clocks?

On a FL avant, is it one pump that does the front and rear? I noticed that one of the non-return valves was leaking so was going to replace the pump.

hi Aragon when u fitted standard pump with two pins, did the three pin connector fit?? what about the low water display

on the dash, is off or on all the time,
and what did you block the hole in the bottle with as it would be open??