Intermittent complete power loss at 3k revs

steady jay

Reaction score
It's at 1999 1.8t, as title around 3000 rpm intermittently loose all power epc flashes up. It's quite abrupt and to be honest had the kids in the car so s**t myself quickly turned it off while rolling and restarted to normal.
It's happened several times in 2 days.

not sure if this is connected but feels like the car is gutless lately?

any ideas folks?
cheers jay

Could be engine speed sensor or throttle body or the likes you need to get it scanned for faults and go from there.

Not as bad as I was expecting lol but yeah I'll get it checked once I find someone local'ish

Just thinking out loud really, I snapped a down pipe bolt recently which is blowing about 80% of the exhaust fumes out of that gap. Would that be enough to mess with the sensor in the cat and cause my running issues.

new turbo on its way Wednesday so I'll be sorting the down pipe/cat at the same time

Mine had a cracked manifold right before the turbo and through a 00531 mixture code but didnt cause limp mode or lack of power, iirc the epc light is nothing to do with emissions but is an electrical/mechanical fault on the engine which will cause limp mode to avoid damage to the engine, and the actually engine light only come on in severe cases like if the timing is out by a faulty CCT or the likes.

EPC light means you've got ME7

There should defo be a fault code stored, ******* into the wind trying to guess without looking to see what the fault code says.

It's all good oranoco is going to scan it in the week. I'll post up what codes I get when it's done