Badger5Sky Insurance
    2nd Gear

Status

Unhappy Heeeeeeeeellllllllppppppppp....... Major system failure, Mot tomorrow!

Hi everyone,

recetly repaired my abs ecu, it's now working, but need to reset the amber abs light. Some strange reason the reader, cannot communicate with any part of the car! Just simply won't talk to the car. What can I check to get the stupid thing to work, it worked before.

mot tomorrow morning, I'm sweating, it's my only car :-(

suggestions welcome.

thanks ash.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    What are you trying to read the ecu with vagcom or a scan tool ??
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

2nd Gear

Status
    Not sure fella, it's what the garage uses, it does all cars.

Status
    Id try to see if anyone local to you (post location in this thread or iirc the vcds thread and hope someone sees it) that has vagcom/vcds lite if it wont connect to any ecu on the car then at a guess id say its there tool, other than that theres nothing really you can do other that your going for an MOT that is definately going to fail due to the light, so your next P.O.A should be to order a ebay cable so you can diy things like this in the future all you need is basic computer skills and a laptop and of course the ebay lead. I have vagcom and also a hand held scan tool that does abs, eml and airbag and a/trans that stays in the glovebox just incase

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

2nd Gear

Status
    Tool not faulty, works on other cars and mine before. Checked all fuses, nothing popped... So really banging my head against a hard wall. Going to speak with an auto sparkle tomorrow :-(

2nd Gear

Status
    Could my repaired abs controller be causing this issue?

Status
    Id expect it to read the other ecu's personally, if it was the abs controller it just wouldnt read the abs ecu.

2nd Gear

Status
    Well that's we both thought, I've heard of abs modules failing newer systems though, so just got me thinking?

2nd Gear

Status
    it could well be the repaired unit, when i was trying to diagnose a bad airbag module communication a faulty abs unit can block comms to all sorts of other controllers, if you disconnect the abs ecu i.e pull fuse or better still the actual plug on the unit try scanning other ecu's if you get comms then you know where the problem is

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Faulty unit can block comms for sure, Our ABS controller of her TQS has taken a dump, but all the rest still work.

Who repaired it?

2nd Gear

Status
    Abs unit started playing up again today so either going to repair again or replace. Put through mot to see what else is needed, brakes out of balance by 71% ?!? So gonna take off road this week and give the old girl a good seeing too. Or sell... We shall see.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Unplug the ABS unit and see if you get comms back.

When you say brake imbalance, what do you mean? They shouldnt be testing a quattro on their roller brake tester anyway, they should be taking it out on the road with a decellerometer.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

2nd Gear

Status
    quite right on how the car is tested for brakes, audi specifically say no to rollers in their technical info

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Unplug the ABS unit and see if you get comms back.

When you say brake imbalance, what do you mean? They shouldnt be testing a quattro on their roller brake tester anyway, they should be taking it out on the road with a decellerometer.
    no idea how it was tested. But I'll be making a phone call tomorrow. The piece of paper says they out by 71% but the car brakes straight!?!

Status
    Do you have a brake test print out picture ??

as above if they did put it in a rolling brake tester i certainly wouldn't be taking it back to them and be having words.

2nd Gear

Status
    Not to worried bout brake test for the mo. can't re test till I fix abs module. Which brings me to my next point. Anyone know the audi part number for the abs module? Loads of scrapyards asking for it. Help :-(

Status
    Have a look on your abs block/module should be on there !!

2nd Gear

Status
    Apparently the scrapyard need one beginning EO8, the audi part number, but I can't find it

Status
    Think they think you have a B6 1.8TQS you need part beginning 4D0, 8E0 is going to be a B6 platform abs module.

2nd Gear

Status
    8E0 614 111 A is the part number on mine, and the one I took of my breaker was the same, not sure why it has the E instead of the D.
    1999 1.8TQS Saloon in Black/Dirt
    1999 1.8TQS Saloon in Silver Breaking

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Yeh the B5's have 8E0 pumps for whatever reason.

I believe 111A or 111E both work.

They're fitted to quite a few cars, including A6 and A8's and some Passats.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

2nd Gear

Status
    I've ordered new one. Mine is fudged. Can't find secondhand one should be here this week, should be back on the road by the end of the week...