S4 buying/owning advice for S4 newbie

Shock_Xe

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade from my 280bhp 1.8 20VT pocket rocket to a 1998 B5 Audi 2.7 BT S4

Car is a 1998 S reg 78k, 1 owner from new FSH, Garaged, standard in black.

Looking for advice first on going to inspect the car for things I should be looking for/checking??

secondly looking for mild tuning potential, what parts are interchangeable and the best bang for buck upgrades

any help appreciated

Mike

[ QUOTE ]
Looking to upgrade from my 280bhp 1.8 20VT pocket rocket to a 1998 B5 Audi 2.7 BT S4

Car is a 1998 S reg 78k, 1 owner from new FSH, Garaged, standard in black.

Looking for advice first on going to inspect the car for things I should be looking for/checking??

secondly looking for mild tuning potential, what parts are interchangeable and the best bang for buck upgrades

any help appreciated

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

can anyone help?

ko4 turbos and intercoolers from the rs4 plus remap will give 350 bhp plus.

Ask if turbos have been replaced, from age it would be nice if cambelt changed as well ( i think 80k is a big service for the S4). Check for blue smoke from exhaust, make sure DIS and all interior lights are working.
Press all the button on the stereo, make sure its fully functional. Also check the air con. In fact chekc all the switches etc do what they are supposed to. Probably wanna check the tyres arent on last legs either. make sure full size spare wheel is in boot and toolkit in boot as well (with locking wheel nut remover).
take for test drive and check for hesitancy/ Blue smoke on start. You should feel a strong push from around 2k rpm in low gears. Boost delivery should be smooth, may have leak in Throttle body or DV if you notice probs when accelerating.
Make sure no accident damage / badly aligned body panels etc.
There is a detailed buyers guide for the s4 (B5) floating round on audiworld.com i think, do a search there. I used that guide to take with me when i bought mine.

They are great cars, good luck.

simple remap and if you like cat back gives enormous bang for buck , 310+hp from stock, as above if you want to go further look at rs4 upgrade, expensive though, cos its biturbo you need 2 of everything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif make sure you get the cambelt done if your on 78kmiles
warning at 3000 rpm ish there seems to be a drop in boost at that particularly point on just about every 2.7t for some reason which is normal.
check power delivery on turbos and listen for any strange noises, funny fumes, all panels look straight or theres evidence its been repaired proper, wheels wear, spare, might be a towbar that should be with it, tool kit..