Heater / Blower Motor help needed

Steve_D

Reaction score
Ok so after reading a few posts on here and found Scott's brushes repair.. I replaced the brushes in my motor (and was shocked to find that some amature didnt tighten the Air Bag bolts up, 5 looked like they were placed to hold brackets and 1 was sitting on the glove box!)

So anyway, its intermittent still... sometimes it will spin and sometimes it wont, and when it eventualy spins (if i leave to power to it) i get a horrible burning smell, obviously we know why lol.. but apart from replacing the brushes is there any other work that i can do to it. Im about to go and get it back out again and have another look at it.

Hopefully you guys can help me out

sounds like the copper has worn away on the commutator. I replaced the brushes in mine a coupe of years ago, but the copper now has big gaps giving the intermittent fan and burning smell.
I have replaced the fan with a decent looking fan from an earlier B5 R reg, mine is W reg, looked in much better condition too. Paid £30 at the scrappy, and if any problem he'll take it back, so far runs perfectly tho.
As for them not being expensive.... Audi dealers will relieve you of the thick end of £250. Not worth it on a decade old car.

Like foursprungdugtechnique said.
Check the copper and give it a clean. that's what I did and its been fine since.

When it does and I'm expecting it to go this year really.
Just go to the scrapper, unless GSF sells them?

£250 from Audi is mental.

I agree with aragorn its amazing what you find these days on ebay even if its not there theres plenty of companys that sell car parts so its no harm in asking if they can source one i messaged the guy selling the febi cv boots and he said he can get the correct ones (cross referanced to the oem part) for £18 each delivered iirc, i bought a vetech iirc blower motor back when i first got the car and has been fine every since and ive had the car for over 2 years now !!

Surely thats the first thing you do before you go hunting for a used part....

Yeah I do.
Some people have a hate or fear (not saying that about the OP) of Ebay so stays away.
Always worth a quick browse I think.
Even if you end up buying the wrong part. :|

The first place I check out is Ebay, armed with the Genuine part number of anything I need....
Going back to the original topic though, when I replaced my blower motor a few years ago (Dec 2007) it was sourced via Ebay and came from GSF Head Office in Birmingham, it was an OEM Valeo unit and cost £63.

i looked at ebay, but thought i could be a cheap b@*sard and spend £4.50 on brushes haha... anyway brought a new unit for £30 canna grumble really, last few days i've been roasting (as we've finally got sun!!) and cant even turn the aircon on :( hopefully 2 days and i'll be sorted.

A local Cargo Motor Factors price was £63 with vat, i told them about the ebay price and they were shocked and said they cant beat it.

sounds like the copper has worn away on the commutator. I replaced the brushes in mine a coupe of years ago, but the copper now has big gaps giving the intermittent fan and burning smell.
I have replaced the fan with a decent looking fan from an earlier B5 R reg, mine is W reg, looked in much better condition too. Paid £30 at the scrappy, and if any problem he'll take it back, so far runs perfectly tho.
As for them not being expensive.... Audi dealers will relieve you of the thick end of £250. Not worth it on a decade old car.

Upon further inspection the copper has worn on 2 parts, it'll teach me to be a tight **** at times lol