vcds purchase

Topplumb1

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying the full version of vcds software that is available from VAG-Diagnostics.com - which is apparently fully compatible with ross-tech vcds software versions 908, 912, 10.6, and 11 beta which works from 1994 to 2012 - my car is an A4/S4 Sport Quattro december 1999, is this the way to go and can anyone advise me on anything I need to know before I purchase ? I also need to buy a decent laptop since I have now had 2 sucessful ppi claims come through !!

Message Nigel (NHN) on here he supplies VCDS cables at a good price.

Reactions: autolatry
If its coming with that version of VCDS it is not a genuine cable and its less than £260, its most definitely not a genuine cable.

Like gen said, contact NHN for a gen cable or go ebay and get a cheap to use with VCDS lite

Pirated version of VCDS, would't trust it. Also expect this thread to be deleted, admins don't like links to copied software.

Pirated version of VCDS, would't trust it. Also expect this thread to be deleted, admins don't like links to copied software.

Edit at the most to remove the link.
I think he only linked to it to ask for our advice on it, I don't think he did it on purpose.

I posted in a tread which got deleted about elsawin and that only had links to ebay. The topic of the tread is about a pirated versions of VCDS, but understand the poster may not know it's copied, but if you start to look around at prices it's easy to spot there is something wrong, but I guess that is why the question was asked.

I posted in a tread which got deleted about elsawin and that only had links to ebay. The topic of the tread is about a pirated versions of VCDS, but understand the poster may not know it's copied, but if you start to look around at prices it's easy to spot there is something wrong, but I guess that is why the question was asked.

The Elsawin one was obvious.

Be a bit daft to delete this one since its all innocent but its out of our hands.
We will see what the powers do.

The serial thread locker has not been around for several days, so it might be ok. lol

anything less than £260 is dodgy but any thing more than £10 for a dodgy cable is wrong. lol

Personally i dont see any reason to lock or delete this thread. Its a legitimate request and hes been given good advice.

The cables for sale on that site are knock-offs, using hacked software, and certainly arent worth £80.

If you want a proper genuine lead that will work on all models, then as said above speak to NHN and get one sorted out.

If you want to save some money, and are happy to only have the lead work on older cars, then a cheaper option is to buy a normal £10 cable from ebay, and pay the $99 registration fee to rosstech to activate it. This gives you most/all of the functionality you need on a B5, but will be less useful on newer models.

I believe rosstech also have a scheme whereby if you register it now on the $99 scheme, then later decide to buy a full interface, they'll discount the $99 off the cost of the full lead, which seems like a good option, as you get all the functionality you need for now, and have the option to upgrade without losing the money already spent should you later buy a newer car that would benefit from a full lead.

So ........thanks for everyones advice on a completely innocent new thread which I started in the hope to gain some advice on perhaps purchasing the vcds software, being completely new to this, I don't know any different as to what I should or should not ask on the forum here. I am now a little wiser as regards to vcds - thanks to aragorn especially for the reply as it gives me the option of buying a cable that is the light version which will work on my model of car without the need to go for the full version when I don't really need it just yet or if I do I can upgrade. Thanks again.

I went the for the £10 e-bay lead, and then registered with RossTech later.

Soon afterwards, I bought a full lead from RossTech and as Aragorn said, they reduced the price of the new lead from them by the registration fee.

It's a good route if you are not sure what you want out of VCDS.

Thanks everyone - anyone have a link to a decent person you can let me have for ebay, as there are so many people selling the leads - and I am bound to buy one of those chinese ones which are crap so I have read !!

Lol - not american then........shows you how much I know about vcds !!

Got mine from uk supplier for £220 incl VAT, genuine. AVOID Ebay dog ****!!!

So does anyone know if the lite or full version or both runs on windows 8 ?

So does anyone know if the lite or full version or both runs on windows 8 ?

1.4 What are the computer requirements?
A computer running Microsoft Windows. A Laptop, Netbook or Tablet computer is best, but a desktop PC can also be used.
With a Serial interface: As of VCDS Release 11.x, we recommend at least a 500 MHz Pentium-II (or AMD equivalent) with 128 MB of RAM and Windows 2000 or newer. Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, and 8 are all fine. As of Release 10, we no longer support Windows 95, 98, ME or NT4.
With a USB interface: We recommend at least a 1 GHz Pentium-III (or AMD equivalent) with 256 MB of RAM and Windows XP or newer. With Windows Vista, 7, or 8 use a machine robust enough to properly support the operating system.
VCDS may work on some lesser PCs, but machines with specs lower than the above recommendations are "unsupported" meaning if it doesn't work, please don't ask us for help.
Available disk-space should be a non-issue on any PC made in the last 10 years; VCDS requires less than 100 MB.
Screen resolution can be as low as 640x480, but 800x600 or more is recommended.
If you are using a power supply for a laptop, it should be one specifically designed for that purpose, NOT a "universal" adapter.
Systems running Windows in a virtualized environment (for example Virtual PC on a Mac) are not supported. See also Question 1.8.

Alright Pal, Seen your post about having VCDS then registering with RossTech, thinking of doing the same, just wondering if you knew if you can reset the Steering Wheel Alignment with the VCDS light setup you got, i.e. Does it give you access the the Basic setting and recoding etc..
Cheers
Ray

Alright Pal, Seen your post about having VCDS then registering with RossTech, thinking of doing the same, just wondering if you knew if you can reset the Steering Wheel Alignment with the VCDS light setup you got, i.e. Does it give you access the the Basic setting and recoding etc..<br>Cheers<br>Ray&nbsp;