OBD coolant temperature readings

Kingfisher

Reaction score
I'm trying to find the post from a couple of months back ( I think). I've just spent ages searching - no luck ( but lots of other interesting stuff !! )
Can anybody help please.

B5 1999.5 (facelift, July 1999 registration)

I wish to check the coolant temperature via the climate module - there use to be lists of 'what and how' floating around years ago-- I suppose too many cars have gone to the scrap yard so it's no longer a hot topic!
Thanks .

Press and hold the recirc and up arrow together, the screen should get brighter, and show 1c.
use the temp buttons to go to 49c then press recirc again and it should show the temp.

No worries, can't remember what the other channels are, so would be good to find the full list.

watch though as some of the lists floating around dont match perfectly with the B5 climate unit.

That one linked for instance says 49 is a malfunction counter for the speedo, and 51 is temperature which isnt correct. 49 is "raw" temperature, and 51 is some sort of virtual temperature value that doesnt really match up with anything.

Aragorn is definately right there - some of the list do vary in what they say and don't really match up to some things which they say they do - 51 for instance is listed on a few as engine oil temp, but if you run the engine from cold with this code showing on the climate panel, you will see very quickly it will hit 90 deg when your oil temp gauge is not really moved from 60 deg!!