Volks AutosEM Tuning
    VW + Audi mad

Status

A4 Flip-key remotes.....

My recently -purchased Jan '99 registered (Nov '98 built) A4 Avant TDi SE came with 3 of the flip-type key remote keyfobs.
    The original owners glovebox manual I think must have been lost at some stage and replaced by a slightly later version (mine is dated 11/98) as loads of stuff in the manual doesn't apply to my car (my car is pre-facelift yet the handbook features a post-facelift model).
    My question is this; what does the central boot release button on each remote meant to do?
    Of my 3 remotes 2 look original and 1 is a later replacement that hasn't yet been programmed to match the immobiliser.
    Pressing the boot release button results in nothing at all, does my car have keys from a post-facelift model or is something not working correctly?
    Just a thought; does the saloon only have remote boot release perhaps? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Cheers

Paul

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

Re: A4 Flip-key remotes.....

On my saloon it unlocks the boot (but doesn't open it). I would imagine the same should apply to the Avant.

Greg

VW + Audi mad

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    On my saloon it unlocks the boot (but doesn't open it). I would imagine the same should apply to the Avant.

Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh, didn't occur to me that it just unlocked the boot rather than open it.......
    Will try it again later.

Cheers

Paul

1st Gear

Status

Also, you need to hold the button down, rather than just pressing and releasing it.

VW + Audi mad

Status

Just tried it again, middle button does nothing, whether kept depressed or just pressed briefly...
    Not that its a particularly important facility anyway IMHO [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img].

2nd Gear

Status

Try the different remotes, it cuold be that one of them isn't programmed properly

VW + Audi mad

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Try the different remotes, it cuold be that one of them isn't programmed properly

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried all of them , none of them work on the boot button.
    Is there any way to find out whether all the keys are replacements?
    If the originals had been lost and replacement keys sourced, I suppose its possible that
    a) the new keys had buttons for a feature my car originally didn't have
    b)They weren't programmed 100% correctly?

The mystery deepens....

5th Gear

Status

Did you buy the car from a dealer ? If so, go back to them.....

If not, have a look at the log book and see the last registered user.... Dial 118500 and if he / she is not ex directory, you'll get the phone number...... Then ask him / her about the keys

I did this with my car as I had a question - nothing serious and was very polite when he answered.... in the end he was well chuffed I had called him and finding out the whereabouts of the car (I bought from a dealer who'd only had the car a few days and the log book still had his details)

Neutral

Status

Your car should use the older flip key remote with 2 buttons on it - lock and unlock.

The 3 button remote (with boot release) is used on the 99> (facelift) A4 which has an electronic boot catch - the boot is opened by pushing a switch under the handle, or by the button on the remote.

The pre facelift A4's boot has a mechanical boot catch which is operated by pushing the lock in.

VW + Audi mad

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Your car should use the older flip key remote with 2 buttons on it - lock and unlock.

The 3 button remote (with boot release) is used on the 99> (facelift) A4 which has an electronic boot catch - the boot is opened by pushing a switch under the handle, or by the button on the remote.

The pre facelift A4's boot has a mechanical boot catch which is operated by pushing the lock in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info, looks like my car has had a complete replacement set of keys then.....
    In a way glad it doesn't have a complicated boot release, yet more things to go wrong.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]