immobilser reader coil fix

I

imported_mc119856

I've scanned through a number of previous posts on this common issue but i'm looking for a clear explanation of how to get to the coil & how to secure it. I'm aware that the stearing colum cover needs to be removed, but does this also mean the steering wheel needs to come off?

if your talking about the inherant design fault in the A4...then its not the coil that you need to be getting at. All it is, as explained by another memeber (would give ya some credit...just cant remeber yer name :p)

ITs that with movement of the wheel the wire that goes from coil to immobiliser control box, in the column gets pulled, and makes a bad connection, so ya get that stupid problem with the car dieing when starting and waiting for it to finnaly recognise the key.

Personally, I know your gonna need some Torx drivers to get the wheel off, it needs to come off so you can get to all the gubbins you need to mess with. All thats is needed as far as i can remeber from the other guys post, was a re-connection of this wire with a soldering iron to the coil. Im sure if someone else reading this knows more..they'd fill you in.

But for a temporary fix, what i have found works well for me (well it aint done it in 3 weeks which is flippin amazing) move the wheel to the upmost position, then bring it down like 3cm..then lock it. This has made my problem go...dont know about anyone else /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dave

Mike - I wrote a long post on this which seems to have been lost when the forum server crashed a while back. I found the problem was in the IDC connector that connects to the immobiliser coil. IDC = insulation displacement connector - this is when the crimp contact connects to the wire by cutting through the wire insulation. I.E. it's a mechanical connection, not soldered. The wire to this connector was very taught which had caused a bad connection at the crimp. As it was constantly being pulled. I soldered each crimp to each wire (2 in total) to make a good connection. Also pulled some of the immobiliser wire back through towards the coil and cable tied this to the barrel to try and stop it becoming tight again. Think this happens over years of steering wheel adjustment.

The coil is around the lock barrel and is only accessable by removing the wheel, which also involves removing the airbag (be careful) The airbag has two bolts through the back of the steering wheel and a single connector that pulls off. The wheel needs to come off to get the steering column surround off.

Good luck.

Many thanks for your responces chaps, i've had this problem now for over a month and the last time it failed to start was last friday when i was on-call. This caused me loads of grief with work & since then have decided to have it sorted by my local dealer. I've been told that i need a new ignition reader coil fitted & will need to wait 2 weeks for priviledge of getting shafted for £300 for the work. If i was a little more confident in taking my car apart i probably would have tackled the fix you have given, but many peopled have warned about removing the airbag in particular.

Well Mike - in my experience it was the connection to the coil and not the coil itself that was the problem. I just hope they check this for you.

Reactions: Zman6000