Will later bumper mounted foglights fit earlier cars?

Nessy

VW + Audi mad
Reaction score
Having bought a '99 model A4 Avant TDi SE (pre-facelift) I can't get over that Audi didn't fit front fogs to it!
From what I can gather no pre-facelift A4's had bumper mounted fogs, until then all A4's with factory fogs had Bosch headlamps with built-in fogs, similar to the projector headlamps fitted to the 94/95 onwards A6.Is that correct?
Can you just fit 99.5 and later front fogs to the earlier bumper?
Any one tried this before?

Cheers

Paul

Does anyone know whether all A4's are installed with factory wiring for front fogs?
I've got a blanking cover on my dash where the front fog switch would be.
Would it just be a case of plugging a switch in here and finding the other end of the wire(s) in the engine bay, or isn't it that simple?

Thanks

Paul

The fogs will not fit without some kind of retro fitting, as for the switch etc, i honestly do not know, as mine had fogs fitted to the OEM headlights. There is a how to on Audiworld, i will fetch the link, hang fire

How to here

[ QUOTE ]
The fogs will not fit without some kind of retro fitting, as for the switch etc, i honestly do not know, as mine had fogs fitted to the OEM headlights. There is a how to on Audiworld, i will fetch the link, hang fire

How to here

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers for the link, had seen it on Audiworld,let me explain why I'm asking....
I want to fit fogs but fitting Bosch headlights (with in-built fogs eg from a quattro ) isn't an option as have just ordered a set of H4 PIAA bulbs. This means the only option is a set of bumper mounted fogs.
Finding a set of post-facelift bumper fogs is proving troublesome at the moment, and will probably prove expensive too, along with the problems of fabricating mounts, as featured in the AudiWorld article....
I have found some Hella Optilux lights which seem very similar in shape to the post-facelift OE fogs and was considering fitting these, they are compact and have a simple fixing bracket.
Using a holesaw I thought that a reasonable installation into the lower bumper grilles wouldn't be too difficult.
However I have another problem; as my car is a pre-facelift TDi the lower bumper grilles on my car (where the fogs would need to be mounted) don't extend out towards the edges of the car as much as the post facelift cars.
Instead there are air ducts on both sides, which on the nearside supplies air to the intercooler.
Consequently, my fogs (if fitted) would be a good 5-6 inches inboard (each side) of the factory postion on the post-facelift model.
In this position it has to be wondered if they'd be of any use?
There's no way I can fit fogs in the same position as the post facelift as it would disrupt the airflow to the intercooler (even if disruption was minor I still wouldn't want to risk it).
Coupled with the uncertainty over whether there is any factory wiring already installed in the dash means that I'm really scratching my head over this one, at the moment I want fogs but am thinking its all too much hassle....

Paul

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

How to here

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers for the link, had seen it on Audiworld,let me explain why I'm asking....
I want to fit fogs but fitting Bosch headlights (with in-built fogs eg from a quattro ) isn't an option as have just ordered a set of H4 PIAA bulbs. This means the only option is a set of bumper mounted fogs.
Finding a set of post-facelift bumper fogs is proving troublesome at the moment, and will probably prove expensive too, along with the problems of fabricating mounts, as featured in the AudiWorld article....
I have found some Hella Optilux lights which seem very similar in shape to the post-facelift OE fogs and was considering fitting these, they are compact and have a simple fixing bracket.
Using a holesaw I thought that a reasonable installation into the lower bumper grilles wouldn't be too difficult.
However I have another problem; as my car is a pre-facelift TDi the lower bumper grilles on my car (where the fogs would need to be mounted) don't extend out towards the edges of the car as much as the post facelift cars.
Instead there are air ducts on both sides, which on the nearside supplies air to the intercooler.
Consequently, my fogs (if fitted) would be a good 5-6 inches inboard (each side) of the factory postion on the post-facelift model.
In this position it has to be wondered if they'd be of any use?
There's no way I can fit fogs in the same position as the post facelift as it would disrupt the airflow to the intercooler (even if disruption was minor I still wouldn't want to risk it).
Coupled with the uncertainty over whether there is any factory wiring already installed in the dash means that I'm really scratching my head over this one, at the moment I want fogs but am thinking its all too much hassle....

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul, get the bottom grills from the 2.5 tdi, they extend the whole way accross. also, the fogs wont disrupte the airflow, they fit them on the tdi as an option i believed anyway.

Paul, get the bottom grills from the 2.5 tdi, they extend the whole way accross. also, the fogs wont disrupte the airflow, they fit them on the tdi as an option i believed anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that, just need to find out now if there is any factory wiring for front fogs already installed .....

Paul