S4 Headlight washers

nogmeg

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever failed a MOT because theirs aren't working? Garage said a car with headlight washers needs to have them working, hasn't been an issue before, but anyway....

Mine Have never worked, andI've never been bothered about it. I've had my bumper off many times and never had to unplug the washers when I remove it, only the fog lights.

So before assuming it's the motor, pump, hose or that they are jammed etc... Where is the power connector for these washers on a 98' S4.

Any help much appreciated.

As far as I'm aware there is no electrical connector to them, I've had my bumper off for about 6 weeks up until a week ago and the only thing connected to them was the hose from the washer bottle. I presume there must be some kind of secondary pump or solenoid that that kicks in when the headlights are on and the washers come up with the pressure created.

Yep there should be two pumps, so check you have them, you may need to remove your passenger wheel arch liner to look, if it does it may have been blocked off and disconnected. Check for voltage at this pump, think it should be every 5th squirt with headlights on. No voltage at pump then check the relay under the drivers dash.

The washer jets pop out on pure water pressure, there is nothing electronic about them.

i no this scott im just curious as to what relay powers it as ive checked the fuses and there all ok so if theres no power to the high pressure pump what supplies it so i can test that. If you take off the supply pipe to the washer jets and throw some compressed air down they will pop out and clear the lines till you cut off the air supply as i tested them when i fitted the S4 bumper.

I think so i havent really checked but it may just be the pump but if theres no power id rather no now what it is then try find out whilst im doing the job if you follow !!

Thanks guys so I've probably got a bad pump or a bad hose connection.

I've found this to help sort it.. I just thought there must be some power source.
AudiWorld Tech Articles

MOT's are getting stricter now heard they added 20 new things to check for as of April.