Replacement injectors due to poor MPG?

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Looking at either replacing my injectors or having the current ones reconditioned. The only reason is I'm seeing a drop in my MPG and I'm currently getting around 45MPG with 95% of my driving being motorway miles.(last year I was getting over 50) The car is a 1.9 MY 2000 Avant with an AJM engine and currently has 200K on the clock. I've seen one company offering reconditioned Bosch injector for £120 each, but they are down in the Lancashire area and was looking for a company in the north east.

The following has been done on the car over the last 18 months, cambelt & tensioner, v-belt & tensioner, cylinder HG, new genuine cat, water pump, glow plugs, reconditioned turbo (turbo solutions), battery, stat, both coolant sensors, rad, air con pump. The oil & filter is changed at least every 5K miles, and always stick with my local Shell station for fuel.

The car starts first time, and runs and pulls fine but does appear to be a little down on power, there is no bad smoke from the car but does smell a little diesel on startup in the morning, the other thing I was thinking about was to replace the front bearings, as I sometimes hear a howling noise a very low speeds with the steering on full lock.

Other that the injectors is there any other reason I could be down on MPG, I also did the check via filling & working out my mileage as I do around 500 miles at least a week, and always for the DIS to be out.

Turbo vanes clogged with soot or egr valve not operating correctly or blocked ??

try a fuel system cleaner we use a cleaner called tunap that cleans the full injectors and pump and lines you basically connect up the unit to the pump feed and return add the cleaner to the unit and pressurise the unit to somewhat near the fuel pump (tank) feed pressure and run the car so that it cycles on the cleaner do half the cleaner the leave half an hour then run it till it cuts out then reconnect it all back up and jobs done its a pretty good kit have used it plenty of times with good results has fixed flat spots and even a injector that was misfiring !!

Try see if any local dealers near you have the kit but they charge around £300 parts and labour !!

aparrently all our dealers in group use tunap as our consumables supplier so any evans halshaw or pendragon owned dealer should be able to carry it out providing they have the stuff.

I have a diesel Audi and had some issues with smoking and bad running, everyone I spoke too wanted to replace the injectors, until I spoke to VAGBolton, they have a new system to competely clean the injectors in situ and can be done in under 2 hours, the car now runs smooth and starts first time, with a massive saving over new injectors.

You can contact them on 01204702801.

Had a new turbo fitted last year, and a new egr and I don't get any boost problem, car starts first time and get little smoke, just poor ish MPG.

Was thinking about cleaning them but after 200K they must be in need of a good overhaul. I should say I plan to keep the car for a long time, due to the high miles I do and almost all maintenance & repairs I do myself, so its why I was think about replacement/overhaul.

Last edited:
I would check your syncro angle if you have VCDS, chances are the mechanic did not put it right when the cambelt was done...

Yes it is a PD engine. I've got VCDS so will check syncro angle, thanks.

Looks like my Synchro angle could be the cause.

What should I be seeing, as the following links say's around .5 to 1.0
How to adjust rough idle and camshaft timing on VW and Audi TDI pumpe duse engine

capturedmr.jpg