Exhaust Dilemma

NineNails

Proud sponsor of the snack food industry
Reaction score
What to do...??
Whilst under the car the other day I've noticed the whole exhaust is pretty much shot now. Downpipe flexi blowing, mid box not far off saying goodbye to the exit pipe and one of the hangers on the back box has nearly rusted through.
I'm sure I've heard the rear box is very particular to the tqs and mega expensive and most people for this reason alone find it cheaper and better to go custom made.
I'll say straight off, I can't afford Miltek or other top makes, the cars not worth that kind of spend anyway really now.
Could you all chuck your two pence worth in as to what my most satisfactory cheapest option would be?
I've seen downpipes on ebay for about £50 and I dare say perhaps the mid box wouldn't be too expensive.
Is there a decent Stainless option that won't break the bank?
I've mailed TopGear in Stockport for a quote as they have been recommended to me but I expect it may be more than I can afford right now.
Cheers :)

Good luck with topgear stockport pal they quoted me £800+ for a non res 3" system but i picked up a used milltek and did a run round the m60 today with a few stop offs and absolutely love it !!

Pleased for ya Brad. Send me some of your luck pal! £800 is just jokes! What state is the exhaust in that you took off?
This is the sort of thing that could write my car off if it fails the mot and I can't find a sensibly priced option

I picked up a decent nick standard S4 system, and had it made to fit, plus a new flexi welded in. cost me £190 all in, and some of that cost was due to the guy having to stitch the somewhat hacked up S4 exhaust back together.

The exhaust i took off is on B5QUAT 's car hes getting rid so swapped mine for the milltek and some beer tokens !!

Be a bit more sporty with the middle box removed aswell, i wish id of got one a while ago it sounds so much better and turns alot more heads lol

Is there much involved with making it fit? Would it not be a bit too loud without the centre box?????

Last edited:
All you would need to do is were the twin pipes meet in to one before the centre box is have a pipe that would run to the downpipe welded to the S4 system or clamped which is like how the milltek system comes.

as for noise id say it would probably be ok as the stock backbox will be quite resonating i woukd of though i have the non-res milltek and its not really that loud well to me driving dont no what it sounds like to other people but the misses says its loud and she likes it and she doesnt ever really like anything i do to it lol so may be the turn of a new leaf for her she even tells me that i should sort things out on it like the DIS that ive never really bothered with as i leave it off but i was shocked when she suggested that lol !!

Last edited:
Speak to soupie he got a downpipe made up for his, dont be worried about the noise ive got a THS decat aswel and its definatly a nice sporty sound !!

Mine sounds standard, i didnt want noise, just more flow and no leaks.

You do get an interesting whistle off the turbo though :)

As above, chop the Y pipe off, then just have a length of pipe added to meet the OEM downpipe.

Mine was extra hassle as the pipe had been cut off flush with the box.

I've got another S4 system that i'll be fitting to the Avant soon in the same manner.

reasurring as ever Kev, thanks.

aragorn said:
As above, chop the Y pipe off, then just have a length of pipe added to meet the OEM downpipe.
is there much involved with this bit of pipe, is it something I could do on the drive? Is there a difference in diameter/stepdown type of thing needed

I was supposed to be getting an S4 exhaust off a guy in Gloucester but he's gone all quiet on me so may have to resume my search. A mate has a nearly new system from an S2. Is there the remotest chance of any of you knowing if this would be near to fitting??

S2 is quite different.

The pipe from Y to DP likely isnt something you can do yourself, as its not a perfectly strieght run.

if you know how to use a welder make your own, ive made mine but need to add another box, as its a little to loud on pull away or full throttle
i was quoted between 400 and 800!!

6 45 degree bends and 2 meters of exhaust