Don't know what to do, advice please guys.

andy110m

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've not been on here for a while, a new addition to the family, baby number two, and an out of work wife meant I had to park my Beloved S4 up and sorn it.

Now things are getting better, wife found a job so with two incomes again its time to get the girl out again. Thing is we needed a sensible vehicle when the second child came so we got a Touran. She loves it, I hate it.

So here comes the issue, I have 6 points and a company car so no NCB of my own and as she already insures the Touran I'm looking around £650 to insure the S4.

Sensible head is telling me to sell the S4 but to do that I'll need to tax it, to do that I'll have to MOT and insure it and at that stage I may as well keep it, not to mention the approx £1000 I'll have spent.

How much is a fully standard, noggy blue facelift avant, half black leather with the alcantara blue inserts with 114k on it worth?

With having a A4 company car putting the S4 back on the road would make us a 3 car family and I'm thinking if I could get back sensible money selling her then thats got to be the way to go?

I can't make up my mind so I'd appreciate the thoughts of others.

Thanks, Andy

6 months tax and an MOT isn't going to break the bank at around £150-£300 depending on whether its pre or post March 2001. Just insure it and pay monthly then stop the payments when it's sold. Insurance companies will take NCB from company car into account if you have any. Must be worth £2.5-£3k depending on year I would have thought.

Last edited:
I guess you need to decide if you'll actually use it?

Its fine having it taxed and insured etc, but if you never actually use it then theres no point keeping it is there?

I presume any time you go out for a weekend etc you'll end up taking the kids and thus the Touran, so times that you can actually use the S4 are going to be pretty limited?

Well Kev, you've hit the nail on the head. Its all prams and kids who want to eat and drink stuff in the car so as you say the touran is the vehicle of choice. That said I have insured it and its going for its MOT tomorrow. At that stage I can tax it and I'm quite excited about it.

I imagine I'm going to run her for a couple of months and put her up for sale. I'm thinking of asking around a firm £2000 just to get a quickish sale. Thats the plan at least, unless I run her and get more use than I imagine.

Kev, you know the car, anyone you can think of who might be interested, send them my way!

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Dont bank on paying monthly then just stopping the payments. Insurance policies are sold on a 12 month basis and if you want to cancel early you only get a small percentage of the annual policy back. If you pay monthly you will have to pay the rest of whats due when you terminate the policy so could end up with a large lump sum payment.

Or buy monthly insurance but thats going to be expensive.