S4 (B5) 235 40 18 Wheels

EnzoS4

Reaction score
Currently have the standard wheels 225 45 17 on the S4 (B5), These are in good health but have a few surface marks. For the cost of reburb I got a set of original Audi 235 40 18.

My issue is the clearing between the tyre and a bar just above the tyre.

I notice alot of of A4 owners put the RS4 wheels on, how did you get around this problem or is it OK and this bar will move with the surpension...?

If I get the 18s on OK then no problem... but Iam back on the 17s until I fixed this issue

The correct tyre size for 18's is 225/40/18, this gives the same rolling radius as stock, so the suspension is irrelevant, they're exactly same size as the 17's, just more wheel less tyre.

The wheels I have are 235 40 18.

you may get rubbing issues with 235/40/18 if your suspension has been lowered. You may get away with it if not. Your offset should be about 35 for 18s, you'll need some decent spacers otherwise.

That is the tyre size not the wheel size.
The wheel itself will have the diameter (18") the width (something like 8") the offset (35, which is the distance from the centre of the wheel to the faceplate where the wheel bolts to the hub i.e. how much the wheel will stick out, smaller offset means it will stick out more)
and finally PCD which is the stud pattern, should be 112 for A4. This info should be marked on the inside of the wheel. You can fit various tyre sizes to the same wheel but the correct size to keep the speedo & gearing accurate is 225/40/18.

Thank you for your feedback. I have looked at both the wheels and found that the offset for the 17s is 45 and the 18s is also 45...?

I could not find the PCD number on either 17s or 18s but the wheels fitted perfect on the stud format.

I will try and get a pic of the bar that is causing me concern.

The bar that comes from behind the wheel and wrap's around is where the clearance is very close. (marked by black arrow). As this is fixed to the wheel, would this still be an issue ...?

wheel2.gif
wheel1.gif

Enzo - That 'bar' is part of the hub assembly and moves with the wheel, as long as it's not touching the tyre, you have no worries.

You will struggle with on offset of 45 on 18"s as the wheel is 1/2 inch (about 13mm) wider. You
might have gotten away with ET42. You probably need some spacers to take it away from
the hub a bit. The problem with the S4 is you have to watch for fouling on the brake
calipers as well. As well as fouling on the bearing housing you need to check that nothing
rubs at full lock (both ways). I think you would probably be OK with some 3mm or 5mm
spacers (depending on the clearance you have without). Eibach do pretty good hub centric
spacers for the S4

Thanks all

Got the wheels on, took for test drive, no problems. so if anyone is looking to put 235 18s ET45 on a B5 S4 - no prob. one point is the gap between the tire and arm is mm's, so watch this gap. (this is with new tire on the rims)