First start of the day puff of grey smoke

billybaggins

Reaction score
My first cold start up of the day is with a fairly big puff of grey looking smoke. Its also not the quickest to fire up, i turn the key three times before starting for the glow plugs to heat up properly.

Any ideas whats causing this? CTS?

cheers

I've no idea of what faults can cause starting issues, but I can say that new glow plugs can make a world of difference.
My car started to be a bit 'chuggy' when started for a second or two, when it would just run a bit rough etc, it made the car feel a bit banger-ish lol.
So, about a year or so ago at the 200k mile mark I renewed all 4 plugs with Beru replacements (Beru are apparently the OEM ones) and the transformation was amazing.
Instant smooth starting in sub-zero temperatures , no more puffs of smoke on start-up.
The forum threads I read were full of doom and gloom about how easy the plugs are to snap-off and what a foul job glow plug replacement is etc etc but the job was a piece of cake.
The only special tool needed was a very thin-walled long reach 7mm (IIRC) socket to get the plugs out....