2.7t over boost error

audi-a6

Reaction score
Posting hear as never seem to have any response in the a6 section. I have an Audi a6 2.7t, had a remap about year ago, boost set to 1.2 bar........... a few weeks ago my turbos failed, so i gave the car to the sane garage who mapped it, they put on a pair of rs4 turbos and then mapped again, they have had the car for nearly 2 weeks as they keep having a problem, car keeps going into limp mode saying "boost limit exceeded they set boost to 1.3, so they said it maybe a faulty maf (the maf was dodgy anyway) so they replaced that, also found a boost leek on waste gate fixed now but car still has the same problem, they saying the new maf is faulty and thar they tried an rs4 maf and the car worked fine untill "fuel system to lean" came up. So basically they saying that a standard maf cant keep up with a pair of k04's??? i don't believe this. they saying the best way to sort this out is to put on a rs4 maf, fuel injectors and pump......... dont get me wrong, i was going to do this eventually any way, but after the cost of turbos ect... cant afford at the mo. So i just wanted some other opinions to see what you think??? car is still in garage at the moment, so need a response asap please.

Basically, your garage are idiots.

They clearly cant map the engine correctly, randomly nailing on a larger maf is completely retarded.

Standard maf is fine to around 420hp, which is more than the stock injectors can flow anyway.

You need to be taking the car somewhere competent before they do some engine damage.

see, i thought it was down to the map too, but the problem i got is a car that is not working properly and a £750 bill!

on the other hand the guy has exactly the same car with similar mods and his is fine?

Still doesnt sound competent to me.

Also £750 for K04 turbos? Numbers dont stack up...

i supplied the turbos, £450 for installing turbos and clutch, £150 for new maf and another £150 for modding intake pipes and fluids ect....

car is done, he has had to set boost to 1.2, which now runs fine, although i still think that i should be able to run up to 1.5 with proper software?

while it appears to be working I'd get it taken to MRC or Rick at Unicorn and get it checked over and mapped properly. I echo what aragorn has said, from everything you have said, your garage's ability doesn't fill me with confidence

There are cars running over 450bhp with a standard S4 MAF.

£450 to get turbos fitted and clutch done is a mega bargain. I paid around 3 times that at MRC. Assume that means your garage have cut some corners, eg: reused crush washers, not replaced gaskets, etc??

i supplied with all new gaskets ect... the reason why he was cheap, is because he could do it with out removing engine, he just dropped box ect....... tbh the job on the turbos and clutch is fine (as far as i could see). But as for the map, i spoke to a local guy today at (?unnamed?) and turns out, that the guy that done my car used to be a customer of them and wanted them to teach him how to remap...... so he decided to go out on his own, not completed knowing the proper way. But i could not understand why his car (the same) ran perfect and was F@~cking quick!! turns out that (?unnamed?) had done the mapping for him and was saying that he done it him self and using the graphs on his sight to sell maps, for obvious reason im not going to name and shame the guy, but come on, this is wrong and it wouldn't surprise me if this has been the cause of all the problems iv ever had and all the Thousands i spent.......... the blown turbos ect...... punishment for going cheap i suppose, but any way this other guy said he has fixed/re-mapped alot of his other bad jobs, and hes going to plug in to my car and check every thing for free and then re-map the chip properly and put an end to this!

on another note, does any one think that this could be linked to the map, or is it something else weird wastegate sound - YouTube

There are cars running over 450bhp with a standard S4 MAF.

£450 to get turbos fitted and clutch done is a mega bargain. I paid around 3 times that at MRC. Assume that means your garage have cut some corners, eg: reused crush washers, not replaced gaskets, etc??

noticed your pic says 415bhp, what have you had done to get this figure as this new guy is saying that with his map i could reach 430+bhp....or is that to optimistic

My avatar is ancient. Reckon i'm running 450bhp these days on a Unicorn Map.

I've 'done everything' really. K04's, catless DP's, full twin exhaust, 630cc injectors, 044 fuel pump, water/meth injection, RS4 intercoolers, phenolic spacers, LWFW and RS4 airbox/MAF/Y-pipe.

aragorn....... you were right again!!!!! went to a new garage Performance3000 to get car mapped, what can i say, i never knew that my car could produce so much power, still got to get dyno'd, but car has got to be close to 400bhp now. Turns out that from viewing the map that M-Max-Power - Auto Electrician done, all he did was copy the map from his own car and add a little more boost, no extra air and no extra fuel, this map was originally done by performance3000! I dont normally name and shame places, but m-max-power did not know what he was doing and cost me a lot of money............ extremely happy now, i would highly recommend performance 3000, those guys know exactly what they are doing. He jumped in car and came with me for a run, with his lap top plugged in, instantly knew that some thing was wrong, got back pulled ecu out, read the file and re-maped it, went for another run and car was amazing, super quick! but i wanted more, why not ;-) so he pulled out ecu again and increased boost, fuel ect.... a bit more. Now car is a rocket! quicker than any skyline or scooby that ive owned, the torque is superb! and im only running around 1.2 bar on KO4's! so still more power to come,

next is fuel system and maf then another map! going to get dyno'd soon so will let you know actual figures

Glad to here your all sorted !!

As i seen the thread resurrect i actually thought 'has he still not susd this yet' lol

Be good to see some figures and also that no one will think of using the previous tuner who cocked the map up !!

Why are you getting a new MAF?

Also - How do you think the idiot tuner didn't increase the amount of air when he raised the boost? You know that boost is compressed air right? LOL

Glad you got it patched up anyway. Still think you'll see a better result from a more familiar tuner when you go to get it mapped again.

yeah. maf will top out, so need rs4 one to go with rs4 injectors and fuel pump, and adjust air i mean adjust maf limits so that the maf reads correct to match boost and fuel ect....

I think this guy is pretty good, I dont see how any higher power can be achieved by any one, no matter how good they are, i would of thought that you can only map to what the engine and components can handle with out pushing them to their limits? be interesting to see other's with the same engine/car ect and see what figures they got from different mapper's

if your on stock injectors, they max out around 380hp, and at those levels they'll be running at 100% duty for much of the rev range at full throttle. Not ideal. You should look at getting the injectors etc upgraded sooner rather than later.

You say "you dont see how higher power can be achieved by anyone" yet you've just seen how one crappy mapper made the car run like poop... Clearly your new guy is much better than the original guy, but that still doesnt preclude the possibility that its still not perfectly optimised!

very true lol i am currently looking for injectors, fuel pump ect at the mo.... cant get a dyno run until 2nd week in july :-(

A proper tuner doesn't need to rely on the MAF reading. Think 'closed loop' is the term used when they map based on other factors such as lambda, boost, etc. But then this tuner guy would know that! ;-)

There are a number of cars running over 450bhp using stock S4 MAF's. In fact Rick from Unicorn was still on his stock MAF on his own car when he did mine last year (otherwise identical spec to mine), and that's no slouch!

Sorry, but the MAF is the main load signal, you dont just go ignoring it...

Sure, you might be able to shonk together a solution when your maxing it out, but IMHO thats not "doing the job properly".

I'm pretty sure rick uses a RS4 MAF on his?

hmmmm. either way, i think id like to change it any way, if maf was not an issue, why do the rs4's run with a different maf yet the s4 and a6 run with the same.....