1999 fwd front wheel bearing

jas828

Reaction score
think ive got a front drivers side wheel bearing on its way out got a lancaster aeroplane noise going on about 40-60mph and when i go round left hand bend so that side is loaded right up its goes quieter do the bearings need pressing in/out etc ?or anybody got a guide to doing job ?

yes bearings require a press or similar.

Before you take it apart, spin each wheel with the car jacked up, the faulty one will sound rough.

ok will jack it up in a moment on other cars ive used old sockets etc and studding and nuts to draw bearings in and out is this trick doable with these bearings ?

Possibly, but the Audi bearings have no circlips and are a very tight interference fit. Some can need 5+ tonnes of pressure to shift the old bearing, and most i've done seem to need a couple of tonnes to press them back in.

just checked both front wheels no play no noise i put a new track rod end on recently and know tracking is out im due two tyres and tracking in couple of weeks is it possible its tyre noise as front right tyre is one that is out on tracking ?

Possibly, but the Audi bearings have no circlips and are a very tight interference fit. Some can need 5+ tonnes of pressure to shift the old bearing, and most i've done seem to need a couple of tonnes to press them back in.

I managed to change the (similar-looking) front bearings many years ago on my Series 4 Audi 80 with a couple of drifts and a very big hammer,lol, but when I did the same job on my present A4 I used a hydraulic press, as Aragorn says they are a very tight interference fit.
Getting the old ones out and new ones in took almost 5 tonnes of pressure as stated, there's no way IMHO you'd do it without hydraulic assistance.

When I did the fronts as mentioned above there wasn't a lot of give/feel evident in the bearings until I was able to press them out of the hubs.
When they were removed they appeared very very rough and most definitely clapped-out....

been under again and found split boot on cv and over last couple of weeks get a small clonk on taking drive up could this also be my prob at speed when running aswell a worn cv joint ?

FWIW I had the "drone" of a dud bearing a few months ago and couldn't diagnose which side it was by "spinning the wheels" - even the garage couldn't be 100% sure which side it was and it didn't make any real difference whether it was loaded left or right. Mike