camshaft locking tool

205man

Reaction score
hi guys

does anyone have a camshaft locking kit for a 2.8 v6 30valve (apr engine) that I can borrow/rent for the weekend, preferably within reasonable distance of worcester so I can collect.

I don't really want to buy one unless I have to.

had thought maybe I could do the job by marking pulleys with paint etc but don't know if it to risky to do that way.

You cant mark the pullies due to the way the tensioner works.

You MUST pull the pullies off the tapers and set the tension with them loose.

I borrowed one from a guy on audisrs when i did craigs. Maybe ask over on there or Audi-Addict, as its the same locking tool the S4 uses, and theres quite a few guys over there with a tool.

is that why you also have to lock the crankshaft.

so you align the timing to start , remove belt etc then you remove camshaft tool and loosen the pulleys and put belt back on ?

do you put the tool back on after when you tighten up everything ?

the tool needs to be fitted when your tensioning the belt.

So you get the engine to TDC, lock the crank, undo cam pulley bolts and pop off the taper so they can turn freely, refit bolt but loose so pulleys can still move freely, remove belt, fit new belt and tensioner (with locking pin still fitted), install cam locking tool, remove tensioner locking pin, torque up cam pulleys, remove locking tools and rotate engine twice checking all marks are correct.

cheers for that.

my kit hasn't come with a new tensioner only belt and pulleys, it was the only one euro car parts listed for my engine the others were ack and alg codes they did have tensioners.

so was going to use original tensioner

I have the tool and it was only £60 from a place in Wales, I'd lend it but Guildford is probably a bit far from you. Tensioner is recomended every second belt change which mine was. Even if you dont replace it you still have to retension the belt so you cant do the job without the tool.

I didnt have a crank lock tool but it stays pretty still and as long as you check its in the right position before you tighten up the cam bolts its fine.

They were PW Motorsport, google brings up the same company but they now seem to only do BBS Wheels. Only cheap lockign tools on ebay now are from the States. EDIT:- found it on Genuine Audi Camshaft tool A4 S4 RS4 A6 V6 engines | eBay

The belt kit I bought was only £154.99 according to me ebay purchase history and included the tensioner pulley and the tensioner piston which is often refered to as the vibration damper. There are 2 types of kit available, with and without the damper so you have to cross check the part number of the kit with the manufacturers website to see what you are getting. Cheapest I can find on ebay now is just over £200.

i tried PW and they not got any as they on back order. so ive searched the net and tried several companies all had none in stock.

Eventually found this place Sealey & Draper Tools - CCW-Tools and they checked with sealey to see if they had stock as it comes straight from the factory. They had and i paid for next day courier so will be here tomorrow. Bloke on the phone was really helpful and plesant to deal with, and rang me back to keep me informed etc, much better than some of the people i called.........manners doesnt cost anything and some of these sales people should learn that

Reactions: Andyb5tdi
well that wasn't to bad , new water pump fitted ( impeller was loose on shaft) new thermostat fitted , Cambelt kit, and drive belt and rs4 snub mount (no knock on acceleration or letting off now)

it's not a bad job to do after all you just need the tools which I know have if anyone wants to use them let me know