Oil Filter loose.

darrenp

Reaction score
Has anyone ever experienced this? When I went to change my oil at the weekend, I noticed that there is some oil leaking from the filter. It wasnt much but over time it had made a right mess - not enough leaking to lower my levels so I didnt notice it.

Its strange as I usually have to use a filter chain to take it off but not this time - and it was me who put it on also. Does this happen from time to time or is it strange to you also?

thanks
darren

p.s. 1.9 TDI

is yours not a drop in filter then?
on mine you undo a plastic cap, remove the old one and put a new one in.

No its a screw on one. Its a 1999 TDI. Its just that its never happened before and I thought it was odd.

Maybe if you fitted it when it was hot it could loosen up now it's getting colder?

Won't be temperature, "apparently" happens a bit on some diesels (of any make). One noteably is the transit (older models) ok, (ok I know its not a transit) , its also has happened on my rally car! Believe me, that one was done up properly before the event!!
The cure was to put a large jubliee clip round the filter then attach some locking wire between the filter and somewhere fixed. Now I know thats not very pretty, but I haven't had the filter move since. If your looking after the car now, changing the oil etc....for piece of mind - wouldnt that be better than a blown engine??
I was lucky and managed to see the oil pressure gauge not in the right posistion!!
Michael

Would seem to be a bit of an overkill for something that no one seems to have ever heard of happening before. I certainly wouldn't buy a car if it had the oil filter wired to the chassis.
Wouldn't it just be easier to tighten it that little bit extra, then check it again a few days later?