Track Rod End Knackered??

NineNails

Proud sponsor of the snack food industry
Reaction score
Hiyaz
I've just found some play in my n/s t.r.e it's not in the ball joint but on the threaded bar. If I grab the road wheel at quarter past 9 and move it, I get about 5mm play in and out of t.r.e on it's threaded bar. It's only a few months old too and was replaced by the garage who did my 4 wheel alignment. Knackered or repairable??
Cheers folks :)
Si.

i had that only 2 weeks ago i replaced mine as didnt see it worth repairing as new delphi part was only 12.99 id have word with garage if its that new

There's no way a new track rod should fail in 2 weeks. Fit Lemforder, Meyle or Febi. Don't even think about trying to repair it.

Cheers for the info lads. Ive just looked again and both seem to be the standard A4 ones so I've ordered a pair of Meyle ones. I didn't know there were different types. I guess the rubber insert gives a slight damping effect. I think the off side may be seized onto the inner tie rod but we shall see. If this is the case will I need a new bellows/boot if I fit a new inner rod??

Yeh its supposed to be a damper, but in exchange you get less precise steering, hence them dropping it from the sporty models.

Not sure on the bellows, i've never changed the inner.

I had one done a year or so ago by a garage (yes, I was being lazy!) and don't remember paying for a boot.

(Bearing in mind I'm Aberdeenshire based so would DEFINITELY remember extra money being spent)

Both changed ok. Off side one had a sloppy ball joint on removal so glad I did the pair. The car is somewhat transformed too!! even without getting the tracking done yet (it's not too far off I don't think) I sat in the snow to do this job in minus temps so I'm glad I've noticed so much difference.
Now I've put it right it's made me realise how long this car has been steering like Amy Winehouse on roller skates :)