Engine Flush

Iceash

Reaction score
Hi All,

just had my engine flushed as had a sticky tappet. Seems to have fixed that, but was shocked how much quieter and smoother the engine is! Double result. Think I'm gonna get it terracleaned next!

Ash

Just thought i'd give my 2 pennies worth...

I used Wynn's Engine Flush from halfrauds Halfords | Wynn's Engine Flush 425ml

I had a noisy engine (only noticeable slightly in echo areas) it did quieten it down a bit and the engine seemed more responsive (but that could be because i thought thats what i expected it to do haha)

all in all, is their any better stuff than this, as i will be doing an oil change soon

A similar quantity of diesel fuel works just as well.

I've ran upto 50:50 diesel and engine oil on really gunked up engines with good success. My track car engine was clattering like it was at deaths door when i got it. Filled it with 50:50 diesel and engine oil, and ran it at 1500rpm for 10mins. After about 6-7mins the clattering all stopped. Drained that out and ran it up again with another load this time 25% diesel, then switched to normal oil and it sounded pretty sweet after that.

I thought that most people didn't like to flush the engines on older audi's due to sludge issues and crap getting moved around and stuck in the pick up?

I guess the idea is you dissolve the sludge away...

Certainly the engine on my track car was badly sludged, but the diesel dissolved enough of it to get the oil flowing properly again.

If you've got a lightly sludged engine, regular oil changes can be enough to clear it out. Our first A4 was in a manky condition when we bought it, and we had no idea about the sludge issues, but i changed the oil every 5k and ran a few of those wynns flush things thru it and when i took it apart 45k later the insides were pretty clean, though the oil pump was knackered and worn out.

Just chatting to a mechanic friend old school old boy. He was horrified I'd had the engine flushed. Said it will leak/use oil like its going out of fashion. God I hope he's wrong.

Well thats my car goosed as well lol

I can understand why there would be a concern but with these engines suffering from the sludge issue to me it make sense. Also if it starts leaking oil etc then it was only waiting to happen anyway and needs sorting regardless.

I would rather have a free flowing oil line and a leaky gasket, than a dead engine which would cost far more in the long run

Well I thought along them lines also lol. Shall be checking level tomorrow lol

I dont blame you, i check mine every couple of days, Better to be safe than sorry in my opinion!

If you have a digital clock you should have an oil level sensor built into the sump anyway.

If it magically starts leaking now you've flushed it, that implies the oil seals were already knackered and the only thing keeping the oil in the engine was sludge... Not really a great position either way i'm sure you'll agree.

Reactions: Iceash
hi i have a 2.5tdi, you recon 1 little tin would work ok, or a couple, a few??
also i remeber yrs ago, you'd drain the oil... buy 5L of flush, put that in for like 20 mins and drain again, any ideas or bemifit of this and if so which factors or where can i buy it, as everywhere is selling the little tins.
Thanks

The little tins are essentially just Kerosine, hence diesel fuel being a valid replacement. If have access to red diesel then its WAY cheaper to simply use that, typically though, its about 3-4quid for a can of engine flush which is half a litre, hence ~£8 a litre, vs 1.40ish for a liter of diesel at your local filling station...

Engine flushing oils are essentially just very thin cheap oil, and the same thing could be achieved just using two or three oil changes in quick succession with normal cheap engine oil. Probably more effective too as you can give the car a proper run and get it nice and hot with the cheap standard oil, wheres driving it with the flushing oil probably isnt a great idea.

Unless theres actually need to flush the engine, like you suspect its sludged up or have sticky tappets, then i'd just stick to regular oil changes. I change my oil every 5k. If the engines new to you, then a flush and a couple of oil changes might be useful as an initial cleanup.

hi i have a 2.5tdi, you recon 1 little tin would work ok, or a couple, a few??
also i remeber yrs ago, you'd drain the oil... buy 5L of flush, put that in for like 20 mins and drain again, any ideas or bemifit of this and if so which factors or where can i buy it, as everywhere is selling the little tins.
Thanks
No need to flush a diesel as the v6 tdi is not prone to sludging + they don't run hot enough to cook the oil ! Just stick to a decent 5w40 synthetic oil and change it every 5-6k and your cams and rockers will last much, much longer ! I have yet to see a sludged tdi...

After changing my oil with 4100 liqui molly and engine flush i feed engine a bit smoother! I think is a good ideaso ... DO IT!!! I'm happy with this result! Liqui Molly Engine Flush and good oil !!! 100% good Diesel aswell !

Gents, you need to remove your sump and rocker covers and clean them properly, im lucky my wife lets me put car parts in the dishwasher, My flush just losened off some deposits and cloged my pickup in the sump, i even had to manualy clean the inside of my block! This was on a car with 86k and full dealer service history!
Please bear this in mind before you accept the turbo impreza offer for a race on a B road! (I lost that one due to oil pressure warnig light)