A little bit of clarity?

TrisLC

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive been working my way through many threads thanks to the search but ive found some conflicting information that I want to clarify.

I read a post recently that says the standard suspension springs are red and aftermarket are black? Can this be right?

Ive got a slight sag in one of the rear springs and its the only one that looks like its not been replaced. My plan is to the lower the overall ride height a little, but im unsure now as to weather the car has been slightly lowered already.

Also can I have opinions, does this look lowered? The gap is not as big as I would have expected sat on the 18" wheels..

20130307_145132.jpg

20130307_145142.jpg

Im not wanting it to be sat on its **** so coilovers are not an option but would like it lower than it is.

Cheers

Tris

That does look to be lower than usual... My fwd sat a lot higher than that on 18's on the std suspension.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362703051406067

Pardon the dent and mucky wheel :)

Very nice b5 there by the way. :D

that looks about the right height to me, if the car is quattro standard s4 springs lower it i believe

Any idea on the height difference in the s4? That could well be an option to keep it as OEM as possible

That does look to be lower than usual... My fwd sat a lot higher than that on 18's on the std suspension.View attachment 12231

Pardon the dent and mucky wheel :)

Very nice b5 there by the way. :D

From this angle the dent isn't that noticeable tbh liking the wheels as well

As for mine it needs a good clay session and the wheels need refurbing but all in all its in good nick considering the miles lol

Looks standard ride height to me. Here's my old B5 with 18's and Eibach 25mm lowered springs

0062.jpg

P130908_161301.jpg

I'd say yours looks a little higher. To answer your question about the spring colour, standard springs are usually black but then again so are Eibach springs but aftermarket springs are whatever colour the manufacturer decides to coat them, yellow, red, orange or even green.

Thanks for the picture, mine is definitely higher than that.

Just need to source the right springs now to avoid reverse rake.

You need to look at your boot sticker for the PR code.
Incidentally, there is a post here Audi Options Search for you to input your codes
and see what you have.
The most likely codes are 1BA, which is the standard or 1 BE which is the sports running gear. This is 20mm lowered. You also get 1BD for the S4, and 1BV. I don't know the lowering values of these (Aragorn may come along with the answer)

If you live where I do, you may want to go to 1 BT, 7mm higher than standard or even 1BB - 20mm higher!

Looks lowered to me, certainly at the front.

Stock springs are black, and will have colored blobs on them designating their fitment.

Stock dampers are red.

If your springs are red, they arent original.

Dont go messing with S4 springs either, theres almost no situation where they'd be beneficial.

Ok ill steer clear from s4 springs, it makes sense as the 2.7 engine must weigh more so compression of the spring must be different.

When I had a quick look the shocks looked black the springs were black also. I couldn't see any dots on the springs and all but one looks newish.

May try to have a look whilst it's on the ramps today

eibach springs are black/dark grey, and potentially give you a drop around where yours sits.

Perhaps the cars been lowered, then some time later on of the lowering springs has broken and been swapped for a standard part?

Stock suspension and 18's looks silly, like Arkons photo above.

Park the car on flat ground, and measure the distance from the wheel arch to the ground and post it up.

Thanks for your reply, ill measure them when I get the car back and ill let you know.

From the rear the car sits lower on the driver's rear so im assuming that its snapped or is old. Its looks older thsn the rest.

I want to order some springs but until I know what shocks and springs its already got ill hold fire.

Is the stock suspension firm on a TQS?

Ok managed to have a look under and around the car whilst it was on the ramps having a oil change...

The shocks are red and the springs are black with coloured dots on them, the rear look the same but a little harder to see.

Also managed to measure the distance when the suspenion had settled.... 65cm from ground to arch?

I can only assume the shocks and springs have worn hence the slight drop.

My dilema now is do I replace the springs with eibach and take the chance it will drop further or do I leave it as it is?

Cheers

Tris

Looks standard ride height to me. Here's my old B5 with 18's and Eibach 25mm lowered springs

0062.jpg

P130908_161301.jpg

I'd say yours looks a little higher. To answer your question about the spring colour, standard springs are usually black but then again so are Eibach springs but aftermarket springs are whatever colour the manufacturer decides to coat them, yellow, red, orange or even green.

This is the drop I want, looks just right..

IMG 20110826 00183

Mine has been lowered 40mm i think, and bearing in mind its a Sport model that already is 20mm lower and yours looks about an inch higher, i would assume its standard Sport springs you have. Hope that makes sense! lol

Thanks for the reply, im certain they are standard now. What is your lowered on? Springs or coilovers?

Ive just been given some vouchers for my local halfords which means I could get my springs for free, but they only do PI, Spax and Cobra.

I had a set of cobra springs a few years ago and whilst they were very good quality they were rock hard. Im assuming Spax will be the same, so the question for you all is... Do you take the free springs and leave cash for other goodies?

TBH my last Golf and Leon ran AP and Weitec coilovers which I didnt think was too rough, so having a sloppy comfortable ride does not bother me to much. But I dont want to be bounced all over the place lol

Cheers

Tris

Sorry mate, mine was like that when i got it so no idea what make they are, but its springs/shocks not coilies.

Out of them i would probably go for Spax, i had Pi years ago on a Nova and dropped well but firm as ****! The ones i have are actually really comfortable on the Audi, if i were at home i would have a look for you but overseas just now.

I had ruled PI out TBH and was swaying towards the spax.

The mechanic I use is also a friend and has offered to price up some eibach for me at cost, but they are still not going to be cheap lol.

Also I may not get the drop I want on them?

I had ruled PI out TBH and was swaying towards the spax.

The mechanic I use is also a friend and has offered to price up some eibach for me at cost, but they are still not going to be cheap lol.

Also I may not get the drop I want on them?

Eibach certainly arent cheap and usually quite conservative with the drop, i have them on my other car which is a daily so works perfect for me.

Depends what you want, looks or comfort derived lowering? Eibachs will lower slightly but not much, but still have comfort etc whereas other types will lower more and be a little more harsh.

Whilst its nice having a comfortable ride, its looks im really after. This car will be my daily hack so I cant go to low hence not going for coilovers. But I want it to be low enough it does not look like its on stilts lol

Depending how I get on with them I may upgrade to shocks and springs in the future

I have a TQS just like yours and i have just fitted eibach springs 30mm lower than standard height, they look great and the ride is a little firmer but nothing to bad at all, i got them on ebay for £189.99 with free postage, i would highly recommend them as i was faced with the same problems as you.

The eibach part number for your car is E1534-140

thanks for the part number,

ive ordered the spax springs, mainly because they are not costing me anything. If they are to hard then I may change them for the eibach or go the hole hog and get coilovers lol

I use to have eibach sportlines on my BMW 3 series a few years and it was not to firm and with a nice height hoping to do the same with my tqs

Ive had a slight change due to halfords having issues with spax I should now be taking delivery of some KW springs instead, of what I read they are slightly better than spax. They are different in terms of drop (45/35) so will be slightly higher at the rear but not too noticable.

The cars spending the day in my mates garage on tuesday having a few niggles sorted so I will be fitting the springs then,

Ill post up some pics of how it looks after they have been done to compare

Cheers

Tris