my custom 2.5" exhuast. cost only £168

boost-addict

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Reaction score
Website
t.me
ok so im not that handy with a welder, but enough to make good welds. altho it seems i have left one little hole, nothiung major so ill get back under there at the weekend, all in all it took 4 hours, including cutting setting up, tacking then fulling welding and various breaks so the pipe it self
i bought 3 meters to be sure and bought 6 45 degree bends and a rear exhaust can, i also got s/s wire, cutting blades and tips. so all come to £168

so basicly for now ive gone from the downpipe at the original location, but will buy 2 more 45 drgree bends and some 60 degree to make up my downpipe, although im not sure if to go 3" as i have a 3" decat to put on

ive got no before pictures but heres some on the car during, then finnished and one on the floor just before i was to seam weld the joints. out of 2 meters i literly had about 6" of pipe left. would have been a close shave if i didnt buy 3!

basicly if your good with a welder im just posting this to show you can aviod paying over £350 for what you can do for half the price and a few hours of your time!

BC0DAFFD-77DD-4A5D-B59C-B23BD10E277F-1216-000000F4AB774005_zps6315a13e.jpg

2EBFF14B-A6DC-4047-8D0D-28A833524C7A-1216-000000F4A4F58177_zps7c8b1e9c.jpg

3C532C13-0633-4590-9769-26148F583A64-1216-000000F49F1B43FA_zps287e9fd9.jpg

E2D1ED7D-A20D-498E-B8C8-9C9A72A57F31-1216-000000F497282FC2_zps06229019.jpg

ok so its not a pro job, the welds arnt the best ie seam welded goodness. and the hangers are spare threaded bar i had. but it does the job nicely. no ones going to be looking under my car so for me its all good. of course if your pukka with a welder then obviously you could have it done better, or better still, cut and tack, then take to a shop to have welded up. i did consider but was doing it for expreince and enjoyment more then looks,

ill get a vid up as soon as i got someone else to hold a camera!

Last edited:
that jack is a 3 tonne jack. aint going no were.

the scissor jack was there because the front wheel lifted.

infact its not loud at all. its a bit late now other wise id get a vid, if any thing i was hoping for a bit deeper sound. and a bit more burble at idle. but were see as it beds in. one thing i am getting is a smell when the system gets hot. i pursume this is just a coating on the metal? or might actually be the exhaust paste i used, smells a bit like that. used fire gum paste. reckons its good for over 1000 degress but if that smell is it burning then its useless.
although it wont matter, ill be doing the downpipe next month and using a v-band clamp. at the downpipe connection.

so am i best going with 2.5 or 3" downpipe?

so far got about an hours drive on the system, as hoped, and avoided when making, ive got no bangs or rattles. the system is quite sturdy, enough play for vibration and engine movement but doesn't sway about like a standard system

Sorry but I'm too distracted by the dangers to look at the exhaust!

Seriously... a 10 tonne hydraulic jack can fail. Axle stands cost about £20 , your health/life is shirley worth that?

I had a trolley jack fail. Had spent half a morning under the car. Popped indoors for a cuppa and when I came out the car was on the floor.

Nice effort on the DIY exhaust though, looks better than some of the tat the so called professional custom places knock up

That looks pretty decent to me, i was thinking similar to Kev and it being loud but you say its good then ideal, good effort mate for having a bash yourself, bet your chuffed? What tip is that you have used, is it an RS one or just an oval off another backbox?

I agree aswell on the jack comments, when i was young and invincible i done the same all the time, now i nick my da's stands when i need them, better to be safe and all that....

yer i know, but whats done is done, i just didnt have stands on me,

any way. decat on

2972412B-F2D7-47B8-880A-1AAC651499FE-5061-00000459D5BC7A19_zps3824be13.jpg

sounds real nice, and inspite of thinking the decat would make it sound loud under normal driving it has litlery only changed the tone/loudness the slightest bit at tick over,
driving theres little change, there is a bit of drone but nothing major.
also the car does pick up quicker. and its not doing my clutch any favors in 3rd gear!

i might consider putting in another box. if its a problem, same as the rear one and place that some were in the middle

A very good effort, fair play!!

Wish I had the skills and confidence to do this.

Well i disnt know how well it would come out but its no to bad. I might have to remove at some point and grind down the welds and redo them
really need to get a vid!

looks ok for what it is and costed.

Just be careful, I lost a brother in law to a hydraulic jack failure last yr.

Sorryto hear that.
Any way ive been told enough

can hear the turbo spooling on low revs which is quite cool

is there a better way other then using a grinding wheel? Thought about a flap wheel?
My brother jokingly said use some heat wrap. Thought im not a complete bodger

id use an angle grinder and a flap wheel and just grind the welded bit. I did it with a mild system many moons ago and it saw me 2 yrs before bits gave up

It's prob worth dropping it and grinding it if you worried, if not, who looks under there tbh....

I know you been told,:salute: All good in the hood

i didnt mean that sarcasticly. just been said many times, and i do understand its dangerous

ok cool. any one know the best grit?

i was using a grining wheel but it just seemed like i was getting no were. so i gave up and thought the same. no ones going to see it but mee, i cant be ***** to drop it till i get my bits for my downpipe

still pondering 3" or 2.5" !!

i was going to go 3", wish i did to be fair. to late now lol,

ill likley have downpipe back made up next year or when ever, i mean only cost £168 and im sure ill get most of that back selling s/h they dont come up much do they!

Having bigger going into smaller makes no sense at all and will hurt more than help.
If anything an exhaust should get bigger along it's length.. but never smaller.