AFN running issue

MaverickTDi

Reaction score
Alright chaps,

To cut along story short, I purchased my 1.9TDi 110 (PFL) at the start of Jan this year and since owning it, I've had a few minor technicalities but nothing serious, however, 1 issue still persists and is starting to frustrate me now as it's, potentially, quite serious. During hard acceleration, to approx 4k revs, in 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears it drives fine, however, in 4th at approx 75-80mph it loses all boost and goes into 'limp' mode. The only way, as the more experienced people on here will know, to get boost back is to quickly recycle the ignition. Having sifted through the threads on here about 'limp' mode issues, I naturally, turned my attention to the turbo, as, lets face it it's sh*t! A bit of reading and web research, it was possible the turbo's innards could be excessively coated in carbon deposits, resulting in poor performance. The infamous Mr Muscle trick seemed the way to go, so using that concept but with the Innotec 3 part cleaning kit, today I flushed the turbo out and replaced the fuel filter. Initially the car seemed to accelerate better and seemed more spritely, I took it for a good run down some dual carriage way a few hours ago and still 4th gear 80mph boost goes!

Can anybody weigh in with their thoughts as to what it could be?

I've used fuel additives like Cataclean, performed the EGR delete, took the MAF out to see if it was contaminated with crap, examined the flexi boost hoses which seem ok. If there was a split it would run worse surely?

I have a spare turbo just in case the one currently fitted is FUBAR.

Car has only 105k on it with FSH, so it's not had a hard neglected life by any means.

Thanks.

Last edited: