How many locking wheel nut differs are there?

Tom_B

Reaction score
Dear Audistas,

I have contrived to misplace my locking wheel nut security 'key' and have discovered this after picking up a nail in my tyre. I know that Audi had different sizes of these nuts and varied them for security reasons.

So my question is how many differs are there - is going to the Audi dealers an option?

thanks all,

so I did the search the forum thing and learnt that Audi dealers will supply a replacement but at about £40 - There are 12 differs for the A4.

Its the splined bolt - will the removal tools work with those?

I lost the key for one of my cars, I took it to the local tyre fitters and the removed all 4 for about a tenner!

If you can keep enough air in the tyre to get to one, it may be an easy option. If you get the tyre from them, they may do it free too.

Hi Tom,

I lost mine once, rolled down a grid of all places! After searching for a few hours, i eventually came across a site that has them ALL :)

CLICK HERE for VW Audi Locking Bolt Adapters - Items - ZakParts

Im pretty sure your's will be the ABC one, just find the right pattern, probably best to take a closeup picture of one and see which one has the right amount of points on the star. Hope this helps you, their only £16 + P&P

Dealer may need the key number. I know Toyota keep no record, there is a card in the box for the lock, with a 3 digit code needed to order a replacement.

They also probably have an assortment of keys in the techs boxes ;)

Failing that, buy a tool if it's something you want to do yourself. Or hammer a socket over it, or a torx / ribe socket into it.
Or any tyre place should be able to do it.

Thanks Steve! I really appreciate your help. I have ordered up a new locking bolt just now. Audi dealer said that they would sell me one for £30 +tax - they also said that because of the age of the B5 supplies will probably stop supply in the not too distant future.

Thanks Steve! I really appreciate your help. I have ordered up a new locking bolt just now. Audi dealer said that they would sell me one for £30 +tax - they also said that because of the age of the B5 supplies will probably stop supply in the not too distant future.

No worries fella, i was gutted when i lost mine years back, and i doubt they will stop selling them online as it doesnt cost much and theres plenty of B5's still around. Audi will say anything to gain more sales as with any dealer

Astonishing service from the company you recommended Steve - ordered Thursday and arrived on Friday. Perhaps it could become part of the faq sticky?

Astonishing service from the company you recommended Steve - ordered Thursday and arrived on Friday. Perhaps it could become part of the faq sticky?

Superb! Yes if i remember correctly they were very speedy with mine, i was looking at their paints other day and im thinking of ordering some of them to colour code my wheels (their getting sprayed soon anyway)

Glad a recommendation was useful for you (feels like i have put some service back for all the knowledge i have asked for haha)