Volks AutosSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

How many locking wheel nut differs are there?

Dear Audistas,

I have contrived to misplace my locking wheel nut security 'key' and have discovered this after picking up a nail in my tyre. I know that Audi had different sizes of these nuts and varied them for security reasons.

So my question is how many differs are there - is going to the Audi dealers an option?

thanks all,
    Sliver 2000 1.9 Tdi AJM Se Auto Saloon cooking sherry but with CD Changer and now Bluetooth audio connection and boot based Tartan blanket. Now runs at 90 degrees like a good 'un
    Silver 2000 2.5 V6 Tdi Auto Quattro Saloon drowned on 7th August 2012 RIP

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    so I did the search the forum thing and learnt that Audi dealers will supply a replacement but at about £40 - There are 12 differs for the A4.

Its the splined bolt - will the removal tools work with those?
    Sliver 2000 1.9 Tdi AJM Se Auto Saloon cooking sherry but with CD Changer and now Bluetooth audio connection and boot based Tartan blanket. Now runs at 90 degrees like a good 'un

3rd Gear

Status
    I lost the key for one of my cars, I took it to the local tyre fitters and the removed all 4 for about a tenner!

If you can keep enough air in the tyre to get to one, it may be an easy option. If you get the tyre from them, they may do it free too.
    1999 A4 B5 1.9 TDi FWD Saloon, Green SOLD
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant, Maroon, 'Panzer' Plated (currently sporting wrecked engine - and gearbox )
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Saloon, Blue, 'Panzer' Plated, Cruise Control retrofitted, OEM 6 Disc Changer retrofitted
    2006 A6 Allroad 3.0 TDi Blue, awaiting stuff to be done!

1st Gear

Status
    Hi Tom,

I lost mine once, rolled down a grid of all places! After searching for a few hours, i eventually came across a site that has them ALL

CLICK HERE for VW Audi Locking Bolt Adapters - Items - ZakParts

Im pretty sure your's will be the ABC one, just find the right pattern, probably best to take a closeup picture of one and see which one has the right amount of points on the star. Hope this helps you, their only £16 + P&P
    If i told you i have to kill you, but i could give you a clue and just rough you up a bit!

Rom
    2nd Gear

Status

Re: How many locking wheel nut differs are there?

Dealer may need the key number. I know Toyota keep no record, there is a card in the box for the lock, with a 3 digit code needed to order a replacement.

They also probably have an assortment of keys in the techs boxes

Failing that, buy a tool if it's something you want to do yourself. Or hammer a socket over it, or a torx / ribe socket into it.
    Or any tyre place should be able to do it.
    VCDS - Hex-Can-USB - Bristol Area
    Toyota Pro Tech - PM me if you need something done!

2004 A3 TDi Sport
    - Bose, Leather / Alcantaras, Cruise, Eibach Sportlines, S Line Facelift
    Full Paint Correction
    To Do - Lamin X, Tints, Wheels

Past Cars

Peugeot 205 Gti Mi16 - Main love affair - Build Thread
    Honda CRX SiR - Short lived - Build Thread
    BMW E46 330d Sport
    Peugeot 306 Hdi DTurbo
    VW Gold MK4 TDi
    Vauxhall Nova SR - First car!

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks Steve! I really appreciate your help. I have ordered up a new locking bolt just now. Audi dealer said that they would sell me one for £30 +tax - they also said that because of the age of the B5 supplies will probably stop supply in the not too distant future.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_B View Post
    Thanks Steve! I really appreciate your help. I have ordered up a new locking bolt just now. Audi dealer said that they would sell me one for £30 +tax - they also said that because of the age of the B5 supplies will probably stop supply in the not too distant future.
    No worries fella, i was gutted when i lost mine years back, and i doubt they will stop selling them online as it doesnt cost much and theres plenty of B5's still around. Audi will say anything to gain more sales as with any dealer
    If i told you i have to kill you, but i could give you a clue and just rough you up a bit!

1st Gear

Status
    Astonishing service from the company you recommended Steve - ordered Thursday and arrived on Friday. Perhaps it could become part of the faq sticky?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_B View Post
    Astonishing service from the company you recommended Steve - ordered Thursday and arrived on Friday. Perhaps it could become part of the faq sticky?
    Superb! Yes if i remember correctly they were very speedy with mine, i was looking at their paints other day and im thinking of ordering some of them to colour code my wheels (their getting sprayed soon anyway)

Glad a recommendation was useful for you (feels like i have put some service back for all the knowledge i have asked for haha)