Is it hard to swap a steering wheel?

Steve_D

Reaction score
As the title says really, mine is wearing away and looks utter crap, here's a few pics

20130226 132712
20130226 132721
Can i just get a new one and swap it? or do i need VCDS aswell... if i can ... has anyone got a good one lying around?

Also does this mean my seats have Airbags, im going to be taking them out soon to deep clean the interior
20130226 132755

easy to swap
and the seats have bags yes

as above.

Sport style one with three spokes will fit too, so get one of those. Just make sure the middle ring is the same as yours, the earlier ones have big inset dots round the badge and those wont fit.

Seats have airbags, you can disconnect so long as you dont turn the ignition on with them removed.

If you do, you'll get the airbag warning light on, and it will need reset with VCDS or similar.

Cheers chaps, found some right bargains on ebay!! £20 going to £55. Most in good order, i'll do the brake calipers and T-stat then see what funds are left :)

Hopefully this month, if not definatly next month the new wheel will be on.

and i actualy prefer this Wheel to the Sport 3 Spoke one, its more chunky and durable looking lol

Next i'll be asking about the candles ahem... LIGHTS on the car... as i think i could do with your advise on them :)

I'l get pics first, but i need to remove them... so maybe tomorrow afternoon for that one

Side air bags :)

Yup side air bags.
Remove the pin at the front of the seats and carefully tilt them back. Remove all plugs and its done.
Make sure the ignition is off and don't turn it on, unless you got VCDS then it don't matter if the air back light comes off.

Same goes with the steering wheel.
Make sure the steering lock is off and put the bolt in a couple of turns. You don't want the wheel flying off and hitting you in the face.

This is the steering wheel you want.
IMG_6000.jpg

Will his facelift unit fit my PFL 98 rack?
If it does and if you find a 3 spoke wheel with trip tronic controls, I'll happly trade you. :)

Again thanks for the info, really appreciate it. i have seen a few 3 spokes with tiptronics... but they had no airbags
Audi S4 & A4 B5 / B6 Tiptronic Sports Steering Wheel 8E0 419 091 AJ *NEW* | eBay

Then the rest are the same as yours, cheapest being £75
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-S4-AVANT-B5-2000-STEERING-WHEEL-WITH-AIRBAG-
/321022903272?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AAudi|Model%3AA4|Plat_Gen%3A8D5%2CB5&hash=item4abe74c3e8

"Will his facelift unit fit my PFL 98 rack?
If it does and if you find a 3 spoke wheel with trip tronic controls, I'll happly trade you.
biggrin.gif
" what did you mean about that part lol??

Them air bags in the seats are pretty strong too! better get some ice hocky gear on when i remove the seats incase tey go off lmao

The rack i s different for facelifts and prefacelifts.

I got an auto, so a trip tonic steering wheel would be cool.

If the keys out the ignition you'll be safe.