Really really annoying phantom rattle...

Arrkon

Back in a "B"
Staff member
Regional Rep
Reaction score
over the last couple of months I have noticed a rattle from the o/s/r area. had all the trim out, but cant find anything.

almost as though a connector is knocking around loose, but all of the connectors have been ducktaped or wrapped in foam. Still no success... Coilovers seem solid, springs have no abnormal movement...

Anything else worth checking or someone else has found on their car?

for those who dont know, facelift 1.8t FWD saloon.

The rear speaker possibly ?? mine does it too i was leaning towards the speaker as it crackles under heavy bass and also the d pillar trim has come adrift slightly occasionally best thing to do would be remove 1 component at a time and see if the noise goes away !!

I think mark had this, and it was the rear screen!

That said, if they're cheapey coilovers they're known to rattle.

Rear screen is fine, rear speakers have been removed, the coilovers are Fk (so reasonably cheap), sounding like its coming from the top mount area. Will take it off this weekend and see what's loose...

Been driving around all day with no rear seats, parcel shelf (an associated annoying beep because the 3rd brake lamp is missing) and god is it noisy...

same as with coilovers rear top mounts suffer, just buy vag ones they dont cost the earth i need to do my rear ones. but i got ap's and there quite hard so suspect it dont lend to rubber mounts. id guess my rubber mounts flex more then my springs lol