quattro rear diff rebuild?

dubster67

Reaction score
Anybody ever rebuilt ie put new bearings into the rear diff of a quattro?

I've replaced the rear seals twice now and i'm still getting an oil leak on one side. There seems to be too much play in the side that is leaking when I move the output shaft/cv up and down, so am assuming the diff bearings need replaced and re-shimmed.

I've got the Elsawin instructions on how to do it but that uses alot of special VAG tools.

Could it / can it / has it been done without the special tools?.

Yeh i'm sure it can, from memory the special tools only amounted to a DTI guage, some bearing pullers, and some specially sized drifts?

I think JCB on here took his apart, but i dont know if he replaced the bearings or not.

Thanks for that aragorn, just what I needed to hear.

I've got bearing drifts, a hydraulic bearing press, DTI gauge, and pullers, but it just looks extra complicated going by the Elsawin instructions.

I suppose I'll just need to re-read a couple of times to get the hang of it.

Plus also properly identify the source of the play in the first place.

From the pictures it looks as if the diff flanges/cups just sit inside the actual diff cage/housing without any support/bearings, and one race of the taper roller bearings is pressed on the diff cage/housing and the other is into the diff casing.

So, I guess I need to know if it is the taper roller that is moving up and down or is it the shaft flange/cup moving inside the diff cage.

And I also suppose that to find that out I'm gonna have to drain the oil and take the diff flange out, again!

Does that all sound right/make sense?

You dont need to drain the oil to remove the flange.

I think your right, the flanges engage with the diff, and the bearings hold the diff in place.

Won't have to struggle with those, probably, seized diff plugs then. Thank God for small mercies, LOL.

I just hope it is worn diff bearings, at least that can be fixed. I can't see how play/wear between the flange and diff cage could be sorted other than a new cage and flange.