AH FabricationsChris Nott
Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,997

    RNS-d and Gala Signal/ABS

    I don't know if its me, the unit or the car but the RNS-d unit is in and working but i'm not 100% convinced the sat nav side of it is working correctly.

    It all appears to work but when travelling it's a bit slow at tracking my position on the map.
    I assume it's meant to follow me like a normal sat nav unit but this one is always 30-60 seconds behind.

    Cause the car is a 1998 and with no canbus system, I doubt the ABS speed signal would work so I changed it to Gala signal as the original stereo used this option.
    Changed the setting via VCDS and went for a drive. Checked the speed signal via VCDS in mess block 06 (I think it was that one, what ever one it was that had speed) and it was 0.0 kph.
    Changed it to ABS and it did the same thing.
    I assume this is why the sat nav is not working fully cause its got no idea how fast I'm going.

    Unless I've done something wrong, is it possible that the Gala signal is broken?
    Is there any way to test it or wire up the ABS signal?

    Any one got any ideas?

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,159
    I was also getting no signal on the Speed pule wire, I used an meter and found that the wire was open circuit between the cluster & head unit, ran a new wire in and it's working fine now.

  4. #3
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,997
    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    I was also getting no signal on the Speed pule wire, I used an meter and found that the wire was open circuit between the cluster & head unit, ran a new wire in and it's working fine now.
    The Gala wire goes to the cluster?
    I'll have to check that then.
    Any idea what plug on the cluster?

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  5. #4
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,159

  6. #5
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,997
    PFL Cluster Pin out.
    Multi-pin connector, 32-pin, blue

    3 - Speedometer output 1


    Going by the pin outs for the cluster. I assume this is the signal wire for the Gala from the clocks?

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  7. #6
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,997
    2 fault codes that I'm getting.
    01317 - Control module in instrument cluster (J283)
    49-00 - No Communications

    00867 - Connections to ABS control Module
    03-00 - No Signal

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  8. #7
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,159
    Was your RNS-D factory fit?

  9. #8
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,997
    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    Was your RNS-D factory fit?
    Not in my car, no.
    Its a factory B5 unit.

    My car had the standard cassette unit fitted to it which has Gala.

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  10. #9
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,159
    Sounds like some of the wiring is not correct or missing but what I'm not sure. May be worth posting in the NAV section, I've never touched the RNS-D only RNS-E & MMI.

  11. #10
    olds_kool's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    stoke on trent
    Posts
    1,071

    RNS-d and Gala Signal/ABS

    Mine did the same
    The gala appeared to have a signal because I wired it through funk switch and the LED would go out when stationary and increase in brightness as I sped up
    Just disconnected it in the end as it works fine without it
    kev
    a4 stuff http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/olds_kool_gti
    99 1.8tqs black saloon
    99 1.8tqs grey avant
    90 eunos roadster

  12. #11
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,997
    Quote Originally Posted by olds_kool View Post
    Mine did the same
    The gala appeared to have a signal because I wired it through funk switch and the LED would go out when stationary and increase in brightness as I sped up
    Just disconnected it in the end as it works fine without it
    You're running with no Speed signal to the RNS?


    How does the map work?
    Does it keep up?
    Mine says i'm on the A38 when I've pulled off and currently sat on the slip road.

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  13. #12
    olds_kool's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    stoke on trent
    Posts
    1,071

    RNS-d and Gala Signal/ABS

    Works fine
    The speed signal is only there for when you lose signal in a tunnel etc

    It takes a bit of driving to calibrate first use
    kev
    a4 stuff http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/olds_kool_gti
    99 1.8tqs black saloon
    99 1.8tqs grey avant
    90 eunos roadster

  14. #13
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,997
    Quote Originally Posted by olds_kool View Post
    Works fine
    The speed signal is only there for when you lose signal in a tunnel etc

    It takes a bit of driving to calibrate first use
    Really?

    I wish it would hurry up!!

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  15. #14
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,159
    I would look into the fault codes, I'm sure it's what is causing your problem. Looking at your posts you have had that unit in your car for a while so it should have calibrated by now.

  16. #15
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,997
    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    I would look into the fault codes, I'm sure it's what is causing your problem. Looking at your posts you have had that unit in your car for a while so it should have calibrated by now.
    This is my 2nd unit.
    Its about 2 weeks old.

    I got a third unit at home but I don't have the code for it.

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  17. #16
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,159
    A day is long enough for the navigation to calibration as long as you do a good few miles. s8craig may be your best help, or try a message on audiforum.us

  18. #17
    Broken Byzan's Avatar
    Photographic Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cardiff, United Kingdom
    Posts
    12,520

    My Social Networking

    Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Ours has just started actual showing us on roads and keeping up after 30-60 miles. I've not tested it past that, but quite happy. I just need a CD changer cartridge to test if it works with the ipod as we spoke about before. I didn't even realise the avant had one,lol

  19. #18
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,997

    Re: RNS-d and Gala Signal/ABS

    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    A day is long enough for the navigation to calibration as long as you do a good few miles. s8craig may be your best help, or try a message on audiforum.us
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan Pics View Post
    Ours has just started actual showing us on roads and keeping up after 30-60 miles. I've not tested it past that, but quite happy. I just need a CD changer cartridge to test if it works with the ipod as we spoke about before. I didn't even realise the avant had one,lol
    Yours has a working speed signal though.......or am fascinating on something that has nothing to do with it?

    I left work today and set destination for Bristol but it never happened, it kept saying I was not on a digitized road but I've done about 30 miles with a CD in, so well see what happens.

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  20. #19
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,159
    You need to sort out the fault codes before, have you fitted a TMC module?

    RNS-D retrofit DIS problems

  21. #20
    Broken Byzan's Avatar
    Photographic Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cardiff, United Kingdom
    Posts
    12,520

    My Social Networking

    Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Do yours at least show the car on a road? Ours was showing the pointer about 10 meters beside it, off roading we were according to it, and crossing bridges was awesome in the water,lol

    I have read it will work with gala/speed, just i takes longer. Given that a normal sat nav has no gala signal to work out speed and direction, i see no reason why it won't work

  22. #21
    Broken Byzan's Avatar
    Photographic Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cardiff, United Kingdom
    Posts
    12,520

    My Social Networking

    Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    You need to sort out the fault codes before, have you fitted a TMC module?

    RNS-D retrofit DIS problems
    I coded out my TMC as i don't have one. Silly expensive for something just to display arrows on my broken DIS

  23. #22
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,159
    So that could the first error code (01317), thing is they must be cheap enough now the RNS-D on ebay are only around £100.

    So the final fault code could fix the problem.

    One final thing to check, and I'm not sure if this is available on the RNS-D can you check how many satellites you are receiving, as it could be a bad GPS antenna.

  24. #23
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,997

    Re: RNS-d and Gala Signal/ABS

    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    You need to sort out the fault codes before, have you fitted a TMC module?

    RNS-D retrofit DIS problems
    TMC is wired in but not coded.

    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan Pics View Post
    Do yours at least show the car on a road? Ours was showing the pointer about 10 meters beside it, off roading we were according to it, and crossing bridges was awesome in the water,lol

    I have read it will work with gala/speed, just i takes longer. Given that a normal sat nav has no gala signal to work out speed and direction, i see no reason why it won't work
    It shows the car on or very close to the road but states its off road and always where I was.

    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan Pics View Post
    I coded out my TMC as i don't have one. Silly expensive for something just to display arrows on my broken DIS
    I will have that once I've done the facelift clocks.

    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    So that could the first error code (01317), thing is they must be cheap enough now the RNS-D on ebay are only around £100.

    So the final fault code could fix the problem.

    One final thing to check, and I'm not sure if this is available on the RNS-D can you check how many satellites you are receiving, as it could be a bad GPS antenna.
    I got full satellites, you can check it in setting, compass mode or when getting directions.

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  25. #24
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,997

    Re: RNS-d and Gala Signal/ABS

    Here's what I mean when it's behind.

    I'm currently on the ferry but landed at the dock side currently unloading.
    Sat nav still thinks I'm in the middle of the rivers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  26. #25
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,159
    When you say full satellites how many is that. I get around 7-8 on my RNS.

  27. #26
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,997
    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    When you say full satellites how many is that. I get around 7-8 on my RNS.
    Full as in the little bar is full.
    Which is 7-8 I think.

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. RNS-E and SD cards
    By murray in forum In-Car Entertainment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19th April 2007, 19:01
  2. RNS-e and SD cards
    By djhindley in forum In-Car Entertainment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 9th March 2007, 10:57
  3. Newbie questions for '07 A3 RNS-E and Bluetooth
    By verschuur in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 6th February 2007, 20:02
  4. RNS-E and lighting retrofit guides
    By The911SC in forum In-Car Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 5th February 2006, 09:50
  5. gala or abs???please help!!!
    By imported_s3225hp in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20th June 2005, 00:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO